Ham Hocks

B

Burbankbrewer

Hi everyone. I've just discovered the world of ham hocks and found out how great they can be. I bought some already cooked from a Polish Deli, and got an idea to make some great bbq ham hocks. Has any of you tried them?

The ones I got from the deli were loaded with meat and little bone. I'm checking a place I heard about, Joe and Franks at Archer & Harlem and a packing company in the Back of the Yards area in Chicago on 41st & Ashland for anyone who lives close by.

Are you talking about ham hocks or pork hocks? Ham hocks are the cured and smoked, leg bone end of a ham that has been cut off. They are great to use in soups or baked beans or by themselves. Pork hocks are the fresh, non cured, non smoked same cut as the ham hock. you can cure, smoke , braise or cook them as you like.

Are you talking about ham hocks or pork hocks? Ham hocks are the cured and smoked, leg bone end of a ham that has been cut off. They are great to use in soups or baked beans or by themselves. Pork hocks are the fresh, non cured, non smoked same cut as the ham hock. you can cure, smoke , braise or cook them as you like.

Good point. I know I tend to use ham hocks as a catch all phrase for all of it.

Never cooked a fresh hock.

Always used cured ham hocks to season veggies.

We didn't use the smoked hocks at home to season with...we didn't use those things at all. It was always cured hocks all the time.

If you're gonna "bbq" some hocks, I'm coming over. LOL

DSC02425a.jpg

Doing a second or "wake-up" smoke on storebought smoked hocks or shanks is a wonderful touch. It takes an hour and a half or so depending on their weight. You can tell when they are done.

If you buy the fresh ones, it takes about 3 days to do a brine cure (a pickle) a soak-out and 1 day of rest time before smoking. Or you can cook them fresh.
d10a770c.jpg

DSC07878b.jpg

DSC06728JPGa.jpg

30724c98.jpg

I have done my own hock's, shanks and neck bones using Thirdeye's method. Turned out great! Id post it but I'm a bit on the lethargic side. If you search this site you will come across thirdeye's thread about the process.

I love fresh hocks after I smoked them, got store bought smoked hocks beat hands down. I never have soaked them in a brine. Got to be the best beans and hocks ever. But if all you can get are the smoked ones a second smoke will improve them a lot. Hey Thirdeye what is the thing with the hocks on the rods? is that some kind of bacon hook? Looks like it could be a useful tool to have around.
Dave

I also did this using Thirdeye's method. Also from "Charcutterie" there is a process for smoked ham hocks. These are a regular thing I do now. About once every 3-4 months I do a dozen hocks. Most I freeze for soups and stews and I give away some to friends /family.

Back