Weber fire start cubes...?

The only thing I don't like about them is getting them out of the package without making a small mess from them chipping, but thats minor, they work great. But, I am lazy to get more so I just use paper towel and oil.

as for all the other comments ...they work well less paper ash rolling in the air.It's nothing but paraffin wax. Love em you can also buy them at lowes .

I take a few pages of a metro times (free paper) and wipe it in used cooking oil, grease. Works very well, could use any kind of paper, the fire stays lit plenty

Am i the only one that only lights the basket directly with a torch...HF weed burner or small torch? The ONLY time i use the chimney is for when i do pizza and need a quick super hot fire.

I make my own using dryer lint stuffed into pulp paper egg cartons and filled with melted canning paraffin. Costs about a dime a copy . I use on chimney or lighting my sticks in my stick burner. Also use to light fireplace.

Love them little farkers, I used to use a torch to light my fires but when I ruined the last one I went back to the chimney with the cubes. I also use them to light camp fires, they work great.

I just got a pack of them to try. Tomorrow.

Am i the only one that only lights the basket directly with a torch...HF weed burner or small torch? The ONLY time i use the chimney is for when i do pizza and need a quick super hot fire.

Nope, all I use is my torch now that I have it...

A cotton ball soaked in 90% alcohol works well too. Much cheaper also.

They work good. Much better than newspaper ash floating everywhere. Looking at your signature of BBQ equip. Now you're gonna quibble over the cost savings of wax cubes( 24 for $3) over cotton balls and rubbing alcohol?:doh: OK.....Just had to chuckle :-D

I DRINK my 90% alcohol thank you (with mixer, of course). Lowes and Walmart has these fir starter cubes and I swear by them.

Before I bought a torch, I was sick to death of newspaper ash all over the place so bought a case of Sterno cans. Just open, light, put under chimney. When done put the lid back on can and save for next cook. I think I'd get 4 or 5 uses per can.
Ed

Before I bought a torch, I was sick to death of newspaper ash all over the place so bought a case of Sterno cans. Just open, light, put under chimney. When done put the lid back on can and save for next cook. I think I'd get 4 or 5 uses per can.
Ed

You could probably get even more uses out of those sterno cans. The flame really only needs to be under the chimney for 2-3 minutes and you can remove it. I use the cubes and I cut them in half. I get 48 chimneys starts for $3. Totally worth it in my opinion.

I keep at least 3 boxes on hand, gonna start doing like stephen and cut them. I wish they came in better packages tho

I get them at Wally World. They work great for lighting my backyard burn pile as well. I even use them in the fireplace. My wife loves them for when she has to light the burn pile when I am not home.

To make them last longer, I break them up into pieces depending if I'm doing a low n slow or high heat. Yea, it does make a mess, but worth it since you don't go through them so quick.

I usually do a half of a cube for grills such as steaks or hamburgers (high heat). I do 1/4 of a cube for low n slow. Using a smaller piece for low heat will help you control your temp. from the start.

Cheap and easy - love 'em!

After reading about them here last summer I decided to try them for my wood stove this winter and I LOVE them! Cheap/easy/no fuss/muss.

Bye-bye saving/crumpling/burning newspaper. I think I've used the cubes twice for the WSM...but I have a weedburner for that. (Much quicker).

I use them all the time. Used to use a torch, I find these are actualy easier. At least once you wrestle them out of their little foil prison.

Back