Sausage Making

Bossmanbbq

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Any recipes or techniques anyone would like to share on this subject? I have been wanting to do this for awhile. My cousin has a kitchen he had made exclusively for game processing and making sausage, jerky and such and is offering to teach me how to do this.

Just thought I would check here first before taking this on and see if anyone had suggestions or experience they would like to share with a beginner. Thanks

If you have a Kitchen Aide mixer with the meat grinder and sausage filler attachment you are almost there. We made home made Kielbasa which was ground pork, a little salt, a little pepper and alot of garlic. We ground the pork and seasoned it. Then we stuffed the sausage using artificial casings.

I have a sausage stuffer,so I make venison salami, slim jims and keilbasi,in rings with different sized casings- I add a cure also for low temps and heavy smoke-I use prague powder from the sausage maker, but there are others and it is all the same overpriced stuff,but it is needed at such low temps- Low temps are needed to keep the shrinkage to a minimum- The "book" says that 152 degrees is minimum temp to cook to -I usually go for closer to 160 to make sure.
I use hickory and give it good hard smoke for flavor,and cook till done,checking with a good thermometer. Been using a 20 # electric smoker, but am going to give it a shot with my lang-here are places to start
http://forum.sausagemaking.org/
http://schmidling.com/saus.htm
http://www.nolacuisine.com/2005/11/14/andouille-sausage-recipe/

Any recipes or techniques anyone would like to share on this subject? I have been wanting to do this for awhile. My cousin has a kitchen he had made exclusively for game processing and making sausage, jerky and such and is offering to teach me how to do this.

Just thought I would check here first before taking this on and see if anyone had suggestions or experience they would like to share with a beginner. Thanks

Sausage is one of my hobbies. Having someone "show" you the ropes will be much easier than figuring out some of the little tricks on your own. Keeping things clean and keeping the meat cold during all of the stages is a must. But since you are familiar with handling raw meat and food safety you have a big head start. An excellent resource book is the one by Rytek Kutas. The binding job is not the best, but the instructions and photographs are top notch.

71200.jpg

Here are two of my favorite recipes:

FARM SAUSAGE (3 lb. recipe)

3 lbs. ground pork butt
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend. Package the bulk sausage in ½ or 1 pound packages.

HOT ITALIAN (10 lb. recipe)​

The rule of thumb with all sausage recipes, add or subtract quantities to suit your taste. Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff. Also good bulk.

10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
1T cracked black pepper
3T kosher salt
5 t fennel seed
2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
½ C minced garlic
1 ¼ t thyme
1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t coriander
6 t sweet paprika
1 ½ C water

Sausage is one of my hobbies. Having someone "show" you the ropes will be much easier than figuring out some of the little tricks on your own. Keeping things clean and keeping the meat cold during all of the stages is a must. But since you are familiar with handling raw meat and food safety you have a big head start. An excellent resource book is the one by Rytek Kutas. The binding job is not the best, but the instructions and photographs are top notch.

71200.jpg

Here are two of my favorite recipes:

FARM SAUSAGE (3 lb. recipe)​

3 lbs. ground pork butt
2 teaspoons ground sage
¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon minced garlic
¼ cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon Kosher salt
¼ cup water

Grind the meat, mix in the seasonings and water until well blended. Let rest overnight for seasonings to blend. Package the bulk sausage in ½ or 1 pound packages.

HOT ITALIAN (10 lb. recipe)​

The rule of thumb with all sausage recipes, add or subtract quantities to suit your taste. Coarse grind the pork, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours or overnight, then stuff. Also good bulk.

10 lb. pork butts (trim some of the fat)
1T cracked black pepper
3T kosher salt
5 t fennel seed
2 1/2 T crushed red peppers
½ C minced garlic
1 ¼ t thyme
1 ½ t crushed bay leaf
1 ½ t nutmeg
1 ½ t coriander
6 t sweet paprika
1 ½ C water
I make chicken sausage, any recipes in that book for chicken?

I got my rig in Cabelas. OK for first timer

I'll dig it out and check. Meanwhile here is a pork and chicken one I really like. I don't like freezing this one, so plan on cooking it all.

Chicken & Pork Sausage (3 lb. recipe)

1 1/2 lb. chicken thighs, boned & skinned
1 1/2 lb. pork butt
1 jalapeno, seeded & chopped
1/4 C poblano, fire roasted, peeled & chopped
2 T minced garlic
1/4 C tequila
1 C chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 C fresh lime juice
1 T kosher salt
1 t ground black pepper
Coarse grind the meats, blend all ingredients, chill for several hours before stuffing. Grill with a direct setup on a raised grill, medium temp. Brush with a little oil to make the skin crispy. These links will bleed a little liquid from the chicken out of the ends during grilling, causing a few blushes and giggles from your guests. Serve with fresh salsa

Thanks alot for the response guys, I appreciate it alot. I'll check on that book third eye and see about picking it up.

You can get both the book and a dvd at a savings if purchased together. http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=867
I have the older version of it (book) and tweek some of the recipes a little to my taste, and turn out some great tasting sausages- Smoked polish Keilbasi with some high temp cheddar cheese mixed in is a real hit with the family-I get the cheese and most of my basic spices from
http://www.butcher-packer.com/ Making your own lets you tailor them to your needs- My mother needs less salt in her diet -don't we all- so I cut back on it and add other stuff for flavor

This is from Joe Ames of the Ingreadien Store

Sausage 101. :)
A couple of important things.
1. Keep the meat cold at all times, below 40 F. if possible.
2. Make sure the grinder you are using stays sharp and tight, so you
do not mash the meat and damage the cell structure.
Now the MOST important...
Meat has a salt soluble protein fraction called acto-myosin, or myosin for short. This is the "glue" that is going to hold your sausage together and give it the proper "bite" or "mouth-feel".
When you first start making/ mixing the meat, just add the salt by it's self. Start mixing it, either by hand or with a mixer. The salt will extract the myosin; you will see/ feel the mix begin to get sticky. This is the myosin coming out. You have probably seen this before when making meatloaf and thought it was the fat.
The mixing time for this extraction will take about 10 minutes for full extraction. Then add whatever other ingredients that are called for.
What the myosin will do is encapsulate the water and fat, the myosin is not thermally reversible, that is when the heat hits it, it will set-up like cooked egg whites, trapping the fat/water in tiny balls. When you are all done with the mixing and ready to start stuffing, assuming you are using natural casings, first take the casing to the sink and flush the inside out with water, just slip one end over the lip of the faucet and run some water thru.
Next put the cleaned casings in a bowl of vinegar, this will make them transparent and the sausages will look prettier.
Slide the casing on to your stuffing tube, start running some of the meat out until it gets to the end of the tube, tie a knot in the end of the casing and you are ready to start filling.
Keep a pin handy to poke holes into the casing wherever air bubbles show up. It will probably require a helper to stuff the casings evenly. Fill the casings full, but not too full or they will split when
you cook them. After the casing is full, and both ends are tied, lay it out flat, and push the meat down and even the amount through out the sausage.
If you want to make links, use something to measure uniform length and tie with a piece of string.
I water-cook mine, for sake of convenience, before they are dropped in a big pot of sub-simmering water, prick them all over on both sides to let air out as they cook.
After you drop them into the simmering water, sausages in a hog casing will take about ten minutes (after simmering starts again), to cook.
When they come out of the cooking water, dunk they into another pot of cold water to stop the cooking. When you do the final cooking, such as frying, do not use high heat, too hot, too fast, will likely cause the casings to burst.
Enjoy... Joe

I saw some chicken weiners and turkey sausage. :shock:

What kind of casings do you guys use and why?

I like the natural ones for the snap and I think they are easier to work with. Plus, they look like olde fashioned sausage.

f37de7c1.jpg

A real good one I have found is putting dried apple chips and cinnamon in with the regular salt, pepper and sage. It makes an excellent breakfast sausage!

i have used hog casing nut never sheep, anybody ever use sheep? for what? whats the difference?

I use sheep for Dogs and Sticks. I dont like the paper texture of the collegen casings.

This is what I use-hog casings for keilbasi and Italian sausage size stuff- 19mm callogens for slim jims and beef sticks -large callogen for 2 to 3 inch salami- they are tough casings and can be stuffed real tight to eliminate air pockets-you have to peel the casing off b4 eating- never used sheep but they are supposed to be more tender

We didn't like the collagen casing either. A local butcher will sell me hog casings by the ounce. An ounce of casing is a lot!

Here's the kielbasa recipe that I used the last time. It's a combination of my grandfather's recipe and a couple of recipes I got online. It's pretty good but it still needs a little tweaking.

Polish Sausage
  • 2 lb. Pork butt or shoulder
  • 2 teaspoon salt
  • Black pepper to taste
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
  • 1/3 c Plus 1 teaspoon ice-cold water
Cut pork into 1 1/2 " cubes, trimming all gristle and bone. Pass through a meat grinder with a coarse blade. Put pork in a large stainless or ceramic crock or bowl. Mix the dry spices in a small bowl. Using your hands, toss the meat while adding the spices a small amount at a time. When half the spices are in, add half the ice water. Mix keeping the meat as loose as possible. Add remaining spices & water as above. At this point you may fry a small patty of the meat to test for seasonings. Adjust if necessary.
Refrigerate the sausage mix overnight

Stuff the mix into about 5' of rinsed casings, tying off links at about 8" lengths.

Back