Rib roast in butcher paper.

txschutte

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
The wife got our holiday roast for next week, and it's in butcher paper. Will it be ok for aging in the paper, or do I pull and wrap in plastic film? Or, am I screwed? Help, please!

I have seen Alton put it in a perforated plastic container and in to the fridge, IMO you are prolly safe with the butchers paper and keeping it in the fridge.

depending on what you may have marinating or giving off smell(notice i didn't say stinking up the fridge) the butcher paper is ok. (sometimes my tea pitcher may take on the aroma of marinating or cooked smoked foods in the fridge for instance) personally i'd ziploc it until time to marinade or rub just to be sure.- just my .02

Your screwed, send it to me!!:biggrin:

depending on what you may have marinating or giving off smell(notice i didn't say stinking up the fridge) the butcher paper is ok. (sometimes my tea pitcher may take on the aroma of marinating or cooked smoked foods in the fridge for instance) personally i'd ziploc it until time to marinade or rub just to be sure.- just my .02

Was asking myself how long has that piece of meat been out of cryovac?

Id ziplock it as well, keep it in the beer or garage fridge. The one that gets opened the least amount of time.

If wrapped airtight, then im sure it will be ok, if it smells ok when you unwrap it from the butcher paper.

Call me cautious, but I had a brisket go bad on me in butcher paper after a week or so. I'd put it in a ziploc myself.

if your fridge is betwween 34* and 38* with a humidity level between 50% and 75% then you are in the range to safely dry age. Keep the paper loose and change it daily if u can.

Or if you just want to be safe, ziploc it or vacusuc it.

Assuming "the butcher" really is a butcher shop that cuts their own meat from sides and ages it themselves then I'd call and ask them how long it can hold in your fridge. And vac seal for sure not just ziplock. If it was still in cryovac from a packing house and I'd say no problem.

But from the butcher counter at the grocery store I have a 4 day limit. Cook or freeze, no exceptions.

So how would you feel opening it Christmas Day to cook and smelling rotten meat. Not much open to buy a replacement roast.Freeze and thaw Monday if in any doubt.

Was asking myself how long has that piece of meat been out of cryovac?

Id ziplock it as well, keep it in the beer or garage fridge. The one that gets opened the least amount of time.

If wrapped airtight, then im sure it will be ok, if it smells ok when you unwrap it from the butcher paper.
Bull, I thought my reputation was well known. I'll keep it inside.

You got to that before I did. Inside fridge is opened alot less than the beer fridge.

I would ziploc if you want my 2 cents. That would be the meat and not the beer fridge.

Depending on what your butcher says and the paramaters of your fridge put it in your infrequently opened fridge on a rack over a drip pan and loosly cover with cheese cloth or paper towel. change as needed every day or two. Be prepared for a reduction is size/weight and to trim as needed before cooking.

Cook it now and get another one later.

Dang! And I had a friend drive all over Cozad looking for an open garage with a beer fridge! I guess I'll have to go to the store tomorrow!

Back