Pork Butt this weekend, need advice.

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I am cooking up some pork butt this weekend and will be doing it different than usual so needing some advice for this specific cook.

I will cook them on the BGE overnight and finish them on the Meadow Creek TS120 which is a reverse flow offset. I am guessing the last 3 hours will be finished across the street on the TS120.

My plans are to foil and cooler them for the walk across the street where the offset will be up to temp 225, butts will probably be around 170-180.

I have a charcoal basket I can use in the offset with lump but will also have some chicken on and would like to throw in some hickory and cherry logs for flavor.

Should I leave the butts foiled to finish, or should I take them out.
Will adding wood fire to the butts at this point over smoke them or give them way too much bark.

I put a few fist size chunks of hickory and cherry in the BGE and the stoker keeps it going all night so I can get some shut eye.

I prefer to finish them at the park rather than at the house so I can do other things I need to be doing for the party.

One thing to keep in mind is you can rest butts double wrapped in heavy foil, then put in a cooler with towels for up to 6 hours. I just did it with 2 for the longest I've ever rested - 6 hours - and it was all good. As for foiling/bark and all that, you gotta go by how it looks to you. If you feel the bark is, um, barky enough, then by all means hit it with foil, butcher paper, whatever. If you want the bark to set a little more, then leave it nekkid. I think you could finish the butt at home and while it rests do your chicken, as the resting time for a butt gives you plenty of time to do chicken.

Don't forget chicken takes smoke pretty easily, so the amount of smoke you need for the chicken will most likely not affect the pork too much - at least not for my taste. :heh:

On the oversmoking part, from my experience and from speaking with others I have gathered that meat only takes in smoke for a certain amount of time at the beginning of the smoking. I want to say for the first 90-120 minutes but not certain on that.

On the oversmoking part, from my experience and from speaking with others I have gathered that meat only takes in smoke for a certain amount of time at the beginning of the smoking. I want to say for the first 90-120 minutes but not certain on that.

That is not true...and you can tell your sources that also.

The premise of what you're talking about deals with the smoke "ring". The smoke ring actually has nothing to do with the smoke itself.

Smoke "flavor" will be added for as long as smoke is introduced to the cooking process.

You can cook a butt for 10 hours in your kitchen oven and stick it on a smokey pit for a couple of hours to finish...it'll have "some" smoke flavor from being on the pit. This is long after the 90-120 minute mark.

I would just try to finish them before you go if it is possible and yes I would just leave them in the foil if I had to move them and keep heating them.

My problem is that I have a wedding on Saturday and will not be home until 8 PM the night before.

Back