What Size holes/spacing in heat plate for stick burner ?

C

captain John

Hey Guys,I have a "stick burner" and going to make a heat plate to try and even out the heat in the horizontal side of my smoker. The ones I've seen for sale have several rows of holes each row with the same size holes , holes increasing in size further away from the fire box.
Is their a magic size hole to start / end with or spacing between rows and number of rows ?
My horizontal is 20" diameter and 40" long . Thanks in advance for your help, I have a chunk of stainless that I thought would work well for this project.

I don't know that there is a magic formula since all cookers run differently. It will all depend on the flow of your cooker and the temp difference now versus what you want in the end. Many people like having different temp zones for cooking different meats. Personally, instead of drilling holes, I would cut the sheet into tuning plates that can be adjusted. Start with a larger plate right outside the firebox that will act as a diffuser and remain there permanently. Then have plates of 4-6" widths or so that you can space out in the cooking chamber to achieve your desired temps. A quick search brought up this page which is a good illustration of what I mean.

http://www.bbquepits.com/images/ACCESSORIES/TUNING_PLATES.htm

portable_smoker_c_tuning-plates_2.jpg

I also have a convection plate on my xmas list. Horizon makes one. Not sure how big the holes r tho.

I also thought bout just getting steel strips and making tuning plates. Not sure how to get em to be able the screw n lock tho. Id just get strips n place em in the smoker.

I made mine adjustable as well. Love it that way!
attachment.php

Cheers

I would cut the sheet into tuning plates that can be adjusted. Start with a larger plate right outside the firebox that will act as a diffuser and remain there permanently. Then have plates of 4-6" widths or so that you can space out in the cooking chamber to achieve your desired temps.
^^^^ This is what I did.

I also thought bout just getting steel strips and making tuning plates. Not sure how to get em to be able the screw n lock tho.
1/4" steel plates aren't going anywhere once placed in the bottom of your pit. No need for fasteners.

Back