• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Do you have a better hamburger recipe?

Pappy

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Granite City, Illinois (Near St. Louis "GO CARDS")
I just bought a weber kettle that has a thermometer built into the lid. It got me thinking that maybe I could make simple burgers better. Up until now, I just got the coals hot, threw on the burgers, some pepper, when the juices where clear and they looked good, it was time to eat.

Do you have a better hamburger recipe?
Should there be a certain temperature that I should be cooking burgers at? What about rubs or spices? We have added cracker crumbs & chopped onions before.
I have also heard of adding onion soup mix to the ground beef.
Just remember these famous words “I’d gladly pay you Tuesday, for a hamburger today!”

I've always done it very simply:

Season with S&P.
Gently form into patties with small indentation on top.
Cook over hot as I can get it until moisture forms on top.
Flip.
Cook other side about two minutes less than the first.

You might also try Montreal Steak Seasoning some time.

I also sear them on both sides on high heat, but pull them over to an indirect heat area to continue cooking until the reach the correct internal temp for the desired level of doneness.

My Burgers are maybe a bit too complicated, but they sure taste good:

2.5 pounds ground beef
1 Finely Chopped Onion.
1/4 Cup Breadcrumbs soaked in Milk
2% Salt
1 TSP Pepper
1TBS Thyme
1TBS Oregano
1TSP Smoked Paprika
6 Fresh Fine Chopped Garlic Cloves
1TBS Malt Vinegar
1TBS Worcestershire Sauce
1 Egg

Mix it all up... then cook a tiny bit in a pan to check the taste and season from there if necessary.

I usually bread the patties in breadcrumbs seasoned with salt, pepper and fresh thyme.

Never had any complaints!

Cheers!

Bill

Onion soup mix works, ranch mix works too. Montreal steak seasoning I also like. Or you could experiment with seasonings from sausage recipes (still use the beef) but I am sure you can find a combo that works. One that I am going to try is the recipe for fresh garlic sausage on The Len Poli site. Well, maybe minus the white wine. I have made that one in the sausage form before, wonder what it tastes like mixed into beef patties.

I am classic burger guy... I actually prefer 80/20 ground meat (sorry, not a steak burger) Season with salt and pepper. Form no larger than 8oz patties about 4" wide. Grill at approx 500 degrees, 3 minutes per side. 1.5 mins, rotate 90 deg. Do this 2x per side.

Confirm temp at 120 - 125 deg then pull. Let rest 3-5 mins.
Enjoy.

On a different note, these are very good...

Blues Hog Pork Burgers

2 pounds ground pork; course grind
2 teaspoons blues hog rub
1/3 cup red onion; finely chopped
1/3 cup blues hog tennessee red sauce
6 hamburger buns

Gently combine pork, onions, rub, and sauce

Gently form six 6oz. patties, handling as little as possible to avoid compacting it.

Grill to desired doneness. You can baste with Red Sauce if desired.

For cooking burgers, steak, chops, etc. in a Weber kettle I build a hot fire on one side of the kettle and use that side for searing and use the other side for indirect cooking. You can either sear first and finish indirect or start out indirect and sear once the burgers are close to your desired temp.

make 1/4 pound patties (or whatever size you want ) we use about 85% lean for burgers then season with a mixture of 1/3 ea- course ground black pepper, onion salt, & garlic salt and grill over direct, high heat. simple is better imo when it comes to burgers.

Besides spices which I change up often, I always add 2 tbs of ice water per pound. Definitely makes a juicer burger

Everytime I make burgers now people say "that's the best burger I ever had". And for that I have to thank "Spicewines All Season". This stuff is great- I just mix it with the chop meat and then form my patties. :thumb:

Well I just made over the wknd some burgers that got great reviews. Took 2.5 pounds of ground chuck, sweet onion, garlic, some sharp cheddar and smoked bacon pieces and mixed them all together like a meatloaf w/ some merlot burger & chop sauce the wife had. Formed pattys and sprinkled with sea salt and spicy montreal steak seasoning. Cooked them indirect for about ten min, then seared both sides over lump. Served them up on some kings hawian buns, and they were awesome!

Do you have a meat grinder? If not the Kitchen Aide stand mixer grinder attatchement works well enough for making burgers...

Here's my burger

1+ lb of sirlion steak or what ever cut happens to be on sale that week, heck the marked down bin is a great spot to start
3-4 strips of uncooked bacon per lb of beef, chopped into smaller pieces
1 Tbs Montreal steak seasoning per lb of beef
More bacon to top the burger with once completed

Refridgerate/freeze a glass bowl until cold, you can also fill the bowl with ice water and dry
Cut beef into 1" cubes
Add chopped raw bacon to the cubed beef
add montreal seasoning

Mix all together thoroughly so that the bacon is well distributed

Start up that grinder (kitchen aide on 6) and grind through coarse plate into chilled bowl.

Don't double grind, the larger pieces make for better texture

Form 1/4 - 1/2lb patties and grill over hot mesquite lump, a handfull of oak chips adds a nice smoke flavor.

I also like to offset the fire to one side leaving a cool side in case anything starts to get away from you...

A picture?? Sure, Here ya go...

IMG_0233.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention the dynamite sauce that you have to make for the bun!

1 bunch of cilantro (cut most of the stems off) rinsed and dried off
1 Jar of mayo
1 small can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce

Remove stems from chipotle peps and toss into the food processor with the chopping blades and puree
Add the bunch of cilantro and continue the whirling action, don't over chop, you just want smaller pieces, no whole leaves.

In a large bowl thoroughly mix together all the mayo and chipotle/cilantro mix untill evenly combined

Fit as much as you can back into the mayo jar and use the rest for that night's burgers

It will easily last 6 months or more in the fridge and tastes incredible on any sandwich you can put together!

the juice of 1/2 a lime tastes really great in it too, but more for sandwiches, not burgers.

I too prefer 80/20 chuck for making burgers. I like to simply S&P both sides of my patties after I get them formed cover them and let them sit out on the counter. In the mean time I get the fire roaring hot. I put the burgers on and sear each side real good. Then I choke the fire down to about 300 offset cook until desired internal temp.

Once or twice a year I like to make a Chorizo stuffed burger.
Fry up the Chorizo sausage (the sausage is greasy so spoon out as much grease as you can) let the sausage cool.
When forming the burger patty make them half as thick as usual.
I place a slice of pepper jack cheese on one of the patties then I spoon on some of the cooled chorizo sausage followed by another burger patty.
salt and pepper both sides of the now formed burgers, and grill them as above.

Oh and some times I add a few mesquite wood chips to the fire for a smoky flavor.

Grind up some brisket and some cheap-o-bacon and mix together really well....spice to taste....course grind and than fine grind...

I like to keep my burgers rather simple. I start out with two lbs of 90/10 ground beef usually. I add one egg and 1/4 cup of tomato juice to it and mix it up. I make four 1/2lb patties out of that and cook them over really high heat just as I would a steak. I season them with salt and pepper before I toss them on the kettle. I like to toss on a slice of cheddar when they have finished cooking and serve them up on kaiser rolls with some sauteed onions and a little bbq sauce and/or some home made chili...

My two cents. Two keys to a perfect "pure" burger. 1) Make you own grind 2) DO NOT season the grind, season the patty just ahead of the cook. Sure sometimes I'm in the mood for something funky and I will add things like seasoning, veggies, cheeses, sauces, whatever to a burger mix.. but this is more a "meat loaf" style burger.

If you want pure, unadulterated, juicy hamburger goodness you can't have that stuff in the mix. You can see for yourself very easily.. add some salt to a grind and cook one burger, just season the patty for another. The difference will be visible.

Of late my grind is equal parts sirloin, brisket, and short-rib. Medium grind, loosely formed patties (another key to juiciness)... season outside just ahead of cooking with S&P. I cook on the grill or cast iron. On the grill, you want it hot to start, then I bump down slightly. I flip once, maybe twice (depending on temp and char). Maybe some cheese and cook to med-rare on a lightly buttered (if grilled), toasted potato roll.

Back