MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Fillet mignon help

I'm cooking fillets for the first time tonight. I have a 22" weber and a offset smoker i can get to 450 pretty easily. I was thinking about a marinade for a few hours, dry patting down, then coating with olive oil, rubbing with Bovine Bold. Off to sear on the webber and then finnishing at around 425-450 in my offset using hickory wood.

Does this sound about right? I'd love some suggestions or past experiences with cooking fillet mignon. I'd really like to impress the wife tonight.

Side dishes are grilled asparagus and baked sweet potatoes.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.
AlabamaGrillBillies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

How thick are your fillets and how do you like them grilled? I usually grill mine direct (450-500 grate temp) for 3-4 minutes per side (1 1/2 inch thick) for med rare...then let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. I do not marinade...I let them sit out for about 30 minutes at room temp then season just before putting on the grill. Good luck!

Serve them up with a Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet or Merlot...good pairing...IMHO!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 AM   #3
Bbq Bubba

Sounds like a good plan but cook the steaks indirect on the Weber to get some smoke and then finish directly over the coals! (reverse sear mod)

Saves getting the offset dirty!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 10:47 AM   #4
Big Mike
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds pretty good to me. Personally, I would start in the offset at a lower temp and then when the meat is about 10 degrees from my finish temp, throw it on the grill for a last minute sear.

Big Mike
Eagle River Barbecue
Yoder YS640
Stumps Platinum 5 Trailer
Members Mark 8 Burner Gasser
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #5
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Well I will be using the offset this afternoon on some turkey breast, so it will already be going, all it will need is a little stoking to get to 450. I was just afraid of direct cooking the whole time on the webber. I like medium rare and the wife likes medium. I was afraid that direct cooking would cook the outside too much.

Matt Pair, member of the AlabamaGrillBillies Cookteam and Catering company. 24x54 Offset stick burner, 18" WSM, UDS, Mutiple Weber Kettles and a 22" WSM on the way.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

I like Big Mike's method. I love to smoke my filets for about an hour then grill em. If the offset is going to be lit then give it a shot. I don't marinade steaks, but that's just me. I like to use Orange pepper, lowerys seasoned salt, hickory smoked salt, onion powder, garlic powder and depending on my mood cajun or mesquite for a little kick. Enjoy!!!!!

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 11:04 AM   #7
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Filets are about 2" thick. In the pack I bought I got three nice ones and one smooshed one :(

Old 11-22-2008, 11:17 AM   #8
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Old 11-22-2008, 11:45 AM   #9
JD McGee

Since you are cooking on a Weber...here are a few tips from their website on cooking 2 inch thick fillets.

http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/...x?c=beef&r=188

excerpt: Sear the filet's over Direct High heat for 10 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling time. Continue grilling over Indirect Medium heat until the internal temperature reaches 135°F for medium rare, 5 to 8 minutes.

Good luck...I hope you have a great evening with your wife!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 07:02 PM   #10
Barbarian
is One Chatty Farker

And now that it is night time, how did the cook go?????

Drumhead - UDS x 2 & UDG
Thermopen
Keep on Smokin'
KC native missin' KC
IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller 2009
I also support PETA - People Eating Tasty Animals
Barbarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #11
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
How thick are your fillets and how do you like them grilled? I usually grill mine direct (450-500 grate temp) for 3-4 minutes per side (1 1/2 inch thick) for med rare...then let them rest for 5 minutes before serving. I do not marinade...I let them sit out for about 30 minutes at room temp then season just before putting on the grill. Good luck!

Serve them up with a Columbia Crest Grand Estates Cabernet or Merlot...good pairing...IMHO!
Good advice, until the wine stuff. I don't know chit about that, so I can't comment. No disrespect intended JD. I'm just ignorant on the wine, the cooking part I agree with.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:25 AM   #12
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

nice cuts of meat need very little seasoning
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 08:16 AM   #13
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok, time to update. First off, wow was it good! Seriously the best steak I've ever had, better than the filets I've had in fancy resteraunts. I think the two biggest things that influenced the amazing flavor was the Bovine Bold rub, and the high temp hickory smoke finish. The grilled asparagus was great, the baked sweet potatoes were spot on and my wife made some kickin' peach cobbler. Had a nice side salad and a sweet read table wine from Tn. Here are some of the pics. Oh I also smoked a turkey breast yesterday.

Old 11-23-2008, 08:25 AM   #14
PFSmith
Got Wood.

Most excellent looking eats! Seriously, the filets seemed to have more marbling that I'm used to seeing in tenderloin. I'm in Homewood - where did you manage to find those filets? They don't look like the ones I am used to seeing from Mr. P's.

Pat
PFSmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #15
AlabamaGrillBillies
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFSmith View Post
Most excellent looking eats! Seriously, the filets seemed to have more marbling that I'm used to seeing in tenderloin. I'm in Homewood - where did you manage to find those filets? They don't look like the ones I am used to seeing from Mr. P's.

Pat
Hey Pat, Roll Tide buddy. I got the meat from the Sam's on Lakeshore, your neck of the woods. I work off of greensprings so its just a hop skip and a jump for me.