MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Midnight Smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Question Buying Meat Online Question

I am so tired of the supermarket quality of meats available here.

Anyone have some suggestions for a good source to buy quality meats online? I am not looking for Wagyu sources just some meat that is of very good quality.

Not sure I want Organic because my thoughts are the word is thrown around to much, I am thinking some Grass fed ranch beef.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #2
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

i've thought about this too but the shipping charges will be crazy, i think

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #3
pal251
Full Fledged Farker

Have you tried a butcher? Maybe you can buy a cow or pig from a local

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
pal251 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

I'd never consider buying meat online.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:34 AM   #5
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

Do a Google search for "grass fed Beef Arizona" or similar type searches.
You may find some places with decent prices not too far from you.

Here's one search result, I know nothing about the place, but you can check
them out and see if it fits your needs.

http://www.eatwild.com/products/arizona.html

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-11-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

^ yep, I would check around for some local butcher shops first, someone outside the supermarkets, maybe even someone who raises and slaughters their own beef.

Old 11-11-2012, 03:21 AM   #7
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

You would be better off to buy a freezer and drive to bigger city and bulk buy. Shipping would cover cost of freezer over short period.
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
zacman
On the road to being a farker

Not sure where you are in Southern Arizona but if you are close to Tucson my favorite butcher is Dickmans Meats. He has everything you might need from great cuts of meats, all kinds of wild game, duck etc. He also sells pellets and 40# bags of mesquite lump charcol for 15.99. If you do go get the "Ugly Steaks" they are unreal!
[FONT=Calibri][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116286"][COLOR=#0000ff][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"][SIZE="3"]Web Flamed UDS[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] , [/FONT]Bar B Chef offset modded, 22.5" Weber w/ [COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Rotisserie[/FONT][/COLOR], SJS,
[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2178456#post2178456"]SJG Baby Bullet[/URL], [COLOR="SeaGreen"][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Medium BGE[/COLOR][/COLOR], 84' Broilmaster restored, Super Fast [COLOR=red]RE[/COLOR][COLOR=red]D[/COLOR] ThermaPen
A Wife who runs a Butcher Block :becky:
zacman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 10:09 PM   #9
Midnight Smoke

I have been to Dickmans, the new store is great. There are a few issues with them as to their pricing, sometimes it depends on who you ask on what price you get.

What I am looking for is kinda like trying a new Lump or a Exotic wood for Smoke.

Southern Arizona cattle are mainly raised on native Arizona forage, I have seen this and it does not look very appealing. I would like some Alfalfa and Clover raised beef.

I really want to get some Hamburger to start, I love a good tasty burger but just cannot seem to find the flavor I grew up with. The Kansas City Stockyards was a high lite in my youth.

Found a couple places, one is http://www.alderspring.com/ out of Idaho. That is the type of info I was looking for. Some good Beef from areas that raise and sell there own product. Figured someone had used a source like this one and could comment on the quality.

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 11-11-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

You could buy one of our corn fed Iowa cows. Tasty beef. Pigs are cheep too.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #11
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
You could buy one of our corn fed Iowa cows. Tasty beef. Pigs are cheep too.
Not an expert here on this, what are the advantages of Corn Fed vs Grass Fed Beef? Seems I have read Grass fed is the best, but I am not sure on this.

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 11-11-2012, 10:35 PM   #12
Mrfish
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
Not an expert here on this, what are the advantages of Corn Fed vs Grass Fed Beef? Seems I have read Grass fed is the best, but I am not sure on this.
What tastes better to you? Corn or Grass? lol

Seriously, I'm not sure. But I do know Iowa beef is mouth watering and the corn fed woman have nice tataas.
Mrfish is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-11-2012, 10:45 PM   #13
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrfish View Post
What tastes better to you? Corn or Grass? lol

Seriously, I'm not sure. But I do know Iowa beef is mouth watering and the corn fed woman have nice tataas.
Lol, I have met and seen some Iowa women and they look very much in shape!

Do you really sell Beef, Angus? Vacuumed and shipped in dry ice? I do not need an entire steer. Would like to start with some 80% Ground Beef. I have a couple empty Omaha Steak coolers, never bought from them myself.

Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Old 11-12-2012, 01:24 AM   #14
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Smoke View Post
I have been to Dickmans, the new store is great. There are a few issues with them as to their pricing, sometimes it depends on who you ask on what price you get.

What I am looking for is kinda like trying a new Lump or a Exotic wood for Smoke.

Southern Arizona cattle are mainly raised on native Arizona forage, I have seen this and it does not look very appealing. I would like some Alfalfa and Clover raised beef.

I really want to get some Hamburger to start, I love a good tasty burger but just cannot seem to find the flavor I grew up with. The Kansas City Stockyards was a high lite in my youth.

Found a couple places, one is http://www.alderspring.com/ out of Idaho. That is the type of info I was looking for. Some good Beef from areas that raise and sell there own product. Figured someone had used a source like this one and could comment on the quality.
You want to try some awesome burgers and don't mind ordering online, http://www.lafrieda.com is the place to go. They are local to me and I am a wholesale customer. When first starting out with them I tested the original blend, short rib blend, and brisket blend as well as the dry aged. I decided to go with the original blend. The dry aged was great and had an almost slightly nutty undertone, but felt for the money, I buy 120-160lbs at a shot, that the original blend was best. I went by this weekend to buy a small order for a friend and they actually had some skirt steak blend burgers that were also excellent.

I toured the plant, everything is ground fresh the day it is sold, he brings in his crew every night to fill orders. While other hamburger is made up in large part from scraps, theirs is purpose made from whole muscle. The dry aged burger meat is trimmed from the meat vault where they age the very expensive stuff for all the top NY restaurants.

Google Pat Lafrieda and you will see what I mean.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2012, 02:59 PM   #15
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

What grade of meat are you buying currently? Are you buying select from your local grocery store or choice from Sams or Costco? If it is just select, well... get choice. If it is choice already, be prepared for high prices to get prime.

As for hamburger, my wife is under this crazy notion that 90% lean is better and that is all she'll buy. If you want an amazing burger, you need 80% or even better 70%. I would suggest you consider buying a 20# choice chuck roast at Costco and then grind it yourself.

Oh and IMve been extremely dissatisfied with the beef i got from Omaha Steaks a few years back. It was crap. Others said the same, there was a thread here. I would be careful of the internet places unless they are selling Prime grade.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk 2

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.