Just wondering??????????????

Oldschoolbbq

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Can I use wood only in my UDS? How would I access the fuel basket without opening the top and losing all my heat? Is a side door feasible? Would it seal well enough?
And finally, I dislike "charcoal Brickettes"-would my leftover coals from earlier fires be as good as lump, then add small sticks?:confused:
I called my Buddy today and he has blasted the liner out of my barrel,so now I begin.Will post as I go.
Thanks and...

Im not a drum corp member, but going on the WSM theory, i would think u can use lump and some small splits. Those types of cookers dont have fast drafts and using all wood would tend to over smoke the food.

Chef is exactly right. A uds is probably the most efficient way to smoke and what makes it so efficient is its slow draw. You will get plenty of smoke with just a few chunks and some good lump.

I only use wood in my UDS. It takes some different design factors and much more fire tending but it can be done and I've been doing it for years. As for over-smoking meat, that can be avoided by using milder woods. If you PM me an email address, I'll send you my PowerPoint presentation on how to do it. I do have a photo album posted here but it lack the descriptive text of the PowerPoint presentation: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/album.php?albumid=64

My main question is why do you want to if you don't have to?
Is there an advantage to using all wood?

There are several people who have an unlimited amount of trees at there disposal so using all wood is a very economical alternative to buying charcoal or lump.

I have a geat dislike for th taste of 'Brickettes' and the 'Lump' I have purchased ended up being dust rather than burnable material.Besides,I know what I have if I use my leftover,unconsumed sticks.O.K.,I admit,I'm Anal about my approach,but it works.LOL:becky:

Aside from the cost advantage of trees, you know exactly what the fuel is that you cook your food with. The same is not true of either lump or briquettes. And some briquettes contain coal.

Back