Thawing meat (I should know this)

va_connoisseur

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I took a wild boar shoulder out of the freezer Saturday morning thinking it would thaw before Sunday morning so I could throw it on the smoker. Didn't happen. So here's my quandary: The shoulder is fully thawed today (Monday). Can I rub it, pack it tightly in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge until Friday? I don't have time to smoke it during the week and really don't want to put it in the oven.

The fridge is barely opened (single guy, lots of take out) so I am sure it will stay below the danger zone the entire time. Let me know, is this safe?

IMO that's a long time for wild meat to be in the fridge, especially pork. If it were store hog in factory cryovac, I'd feel differently. For context, I'm usually pretty relaxed in my worries about meat, but this just strikes me as a tad more questionable. If you do it anyways, maybe go a little heavier on the salt as that will inhibit bacterial growth.

OK. I will rub it tonight. Try to get some smoke on it before it get too late tomorrow after work, than finish in the oven.

Back