10'X10' site???

Wager

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I'm entering a competition in Charlotte, NC and the organizer is only allowing the backyard teams a 10X10 site. as small as my setup is (1 ez-up and 2 wsms) I don't think I could deal with a site that small for two days. thankfully I will be in the pro division with a 20X40 site.

anyone ever cooked an event where your site was this small?

I know at Roc City Rib Fest the rib only teams get a 10x10 site, but for a full cook in the backyard division with that size...no way. I'd be interested in seeing a few pics of how it can be done. Maybe I can learn something lol. :twitch:

Most venues the fire department won't let you put a cooker under a tent, don't see how a 10x10 is possible.

There is one in Athens, GA this coming weekend that had 10x10 sites AND the one in Atlanta, GA is also 10x10 spots (both BY I do believe). I'm not sure how they do it either, but if we make it out to Athens on Saturday I'll see if I can snap a pic or two of a few teams pulling it off :-D

I'm entering a competition in Charlotte, NC and the organizer is only allowing the backyard teams a 10X10 site. as small as my setup is (1 ez-up and 2 wsms) I don't think I could deal with a site that small for two days. thankfully I will be in the pro division with a 20X40 site.

I got that email today and moving this back uptown in Charlotte this year compared to the NC Music Factory the last 2 years . My smoker will take up a 10x10 spot. I was thinking about the pro division but never done MBN event with on site judging. I feel that way you have to be a car salesman to entertain the judges. I prefer the blind judging.

yeah, those sites are small but in all honestly 95% of the backyard teams are there to party anyway. The parking lot where they used to have the backyard before they moved it to the Music Factory was like a massive football tailgate/street party. Partying was #1 for most of the teams. The contest was secondary. Still a fun event though.

The Atlanta event is an anomaly - you can't make any useful comparison between that event and any other KCBS event in our state. It is essentially a for-profit sampling show run in a similar fashion to the rib burnoffs they have up north.

Athens is a first-time organizer that is used to trade show booths. She'll learn. ;)

I am very surprised the local fire officials let them get away with that because that means that you need to put your cookers or grill under the canopy. That is generally a no-no at contests. At our second contest ever back in May of 2006 at BBQ on the River in Bristol, Pa. a team burned up a canopy. The contest officials made sure no team had a cooker or grill under a canopy after that happened.

I was thinking about the pro division but never done MBN event with on site judging. I feel that way you have to be a car salesman to entertain the judges. I prefer the blind judging.

Keep in mind that if you place in the top three they are making the backyard guys do the presentation as well so you have to do it for both the pro and b-y divisions.

I got that email today and moving this back uptown in Charlotte this year compared to the NC Music Factory the last 2 years . My smoker will take up a 10x10 spot. I was thinking about the pro division but never done MBN event with on site judging. I feel that way you have to be a car salesman to entertain the judges. I prefer the blind judging.

If your cooker takes up a 10x10 spot then you probably shouldn't be cooking in the backyard division anyway.....

If your cooker takes up a 10x10 spot then you probably shouldn't be cooking in the backyard division anyway.....

I don't think that's really true. A lot of folks who don't compete in the pro circuit use homemade propane tank offsets that are quite large and usually trailer mounted. Granted this is not the gear of the Patio Daddy-o set, but for the guy that cooks a couple parties a year for his lodge and the family reunion it is the norm.

Pro competitors don't usually use them because they have evolved specialized rigs optimized to cook the relatively small quantities needed for six judges. (And we like to get some sleep!)

Back