Newbie pork shoulder question...

Zikomo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I haven't been able to search this forum for some reason. So I'll just post the question.

I bought a whole boneless pork shoulder from Costco (it was all they had). This is my first attempt at cooking a butt. I'm just cooking for friends this weekend. The shoulder was cut in half but I can't tell which is the picnic and which is the butt!

Any help would be appreciated thank you.

The Butt is toward the top of the shoulder and the picnic is just above the hock. if i'm correct.

I think what you bought was a 2 pack of Butts.

Costco doesn't carry whole shoulders. :biggrin:

How many pounds is it total? If it's big enough...you may want to just throw it all on together. Once it's pulled..even CSI couldn't figure out the puzzle of where it should have been. ;-)

Boneless twin packs? I havent shopped much at costco but I know Sams always has the bone in.

Boneless twin packs are what we have here at Costco. I've never bought
them and can't remember how big they are. If all I can get are smaller
Butts I'll tie them together with butcher twine so they can cook all night and
I don't have to get up so early to check on them.
Cook 'em up they'll be great.

I think what you bought was a 2 pack of Butts.

Costco doesn't carry whole shoulders.

isn't butt and shoulder just different names for the same thing?

Yes, Costco sells boneless twin packs of butts, so you have two boneless butts. And no, a butt and shoulder are not different names for the same thing. A shoulder consists of two cuts, the boston butt and the picnic.

The Picnic Shoulder is obtained from the lower portion and the Boston Butt is obtained from the upper portion of the whole pork shoulder. http://culinaryarts.about.com/od/beefporkothermeats/ss/cutsofpork_2.htm

Back