• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Has anyone ever tried using a 2 inch ball valve to regulate the chimney as a damper?

There are multiple issues that make each UDS differennt on how much they must be chocked to maintain temperature. Temperature is controlled by draft. Draft is created through your intake holes, but has no problem creating itself through cracks and the exhaust. Your exhaust holes are probably allowing slightly more draft than a smoke stack system, so I would not really worry that you need to choke at the ball valve with both nipples closed.

fwiw fuel also effects this. Damp lump takes a lot more draft to hit temps than good dry lump. I suspect that draft requirements also change between lump and briquettes.

Thanks Foam2 and olewarthog. I appreciate the pointers.

I'll start with 10 coals and shut down 2 of the intakes sooner. And even more importantly, now that I know I can completely shut off the intake (and not ruin the food), I'll give that a try if need-be.

Thanks again.

A few other notes:

Check for air leaks into the drum. Anywhere that air can get in is going to allow more oxygen in for burning and temp will be higher. I can put a full chimney of charcoal in on top of what's loaded in the basket and still control temp because it's all about how much oxygen can get in, not how many briquets you start with.

If you're using lump, you'll need less air than using briquets, it just burns hotter normally.

I have run anywhere from 1 cap off + the valve 1/2 open to just the valve open maybe 1/3 depending on what temp I'm shooting for. This is using Kingsford, 2 3/4" pipe nipples and 1 3/4" valve, all of which are air-tight to the drum with a Weber lid and a rope seal in it to tighten it up to the drum.

A few other notes:

Check for air leaks into the drum. Anywhere that air can get in is going to allow more oxygen in for burning and temp will be higher.

What do you recommend to check for leaks? If I close off my intakes and exhaust, my fire goes out pretty fast. I'm under the assumption that means there are little air leaks in my setup.

Thanks

New here, and ready to build a UDS.

Ive had this old Shasta soda barrel in the shed for years holding shovels, rakes, etc.

It measures 36x18 (40 gallons maybe)

Can you guys tell by the pics if its lined or not? The bottom just has surface rust, but is pretty dang solid.

Bigboi looks to have the tan liner in it.. Your gonna wanna remove that eather by sandblasting or burning it out... Thats a smooth drum with no ribs should make for a clean looking drum when shes done..

Ok, Cool!

And as for the lid, I found out that my local Home Depot has the Masterbuilt 18-1/2 in. Kettle Charcoal Grill's for $39. Not a bad price, IMO.

Now I need to find some 18" grates that will fit.

Thanks guys!

What do you recommend to check for leaks? If I close off my intakes and exhaust, my fire goes out pretty fast. I'm under the assumption that means there are little air leaks in my setup.

Thanks

Cap/close the nipples/valve and put a little water inside to see if it leaks. The lid is easy to tell when you're smoking, all smoke should come out your vent if sealed properly. I get a little leakage with my Weber lid/rope seal but it's not enough to affect anything.

You should take that barrel to a antique store and sell it for enough to pay for a couple UDS's.

Whooohoo mine is allmost finished:clap2: cant wait to try her out.
uds.jpg

Last edited:
finished build and fired it up
ribs,moinks and meatballs
ran for 8hrs at a steady 113c(255f) on about 5lbs of charcoal
need the rain to stop to finish painting
best ribs this side of the atlantic!!!

P1010116_zpsb5a5887b.jpg

P1010117_zps359e793f.jpg

Ok guys here's my build
null.jpg

In case you guys are wondering where my name comes from, here's my project

null-1.jpg

My concern is this, barrel was burned out by a reconditioning company that burns it out in a furnace, I washed it out with soap and a Brillo pad. You guys think I'm good for seasoning?

null-3.jpg

Ok guys here's my build

My concern is this, barrel was burned out by a reconditioning company that burns it out in a furnace, I washed it out with soap and a Brillo pad. You guys think I'm good for seasoning?

It looks perfect to me.

It may not be pretty but this is one fine cooking machine! Did 3 butts yesterday, doing a brisket today, and 6 racks of ribs tomorrow. Gonna be a BBQ throw down! Got my hash and Brunswick stew done yesterday too. Ya'll come on. Let's eat! LOL

Attachments

• Cooking Machine.jpg
    Cooking Machine.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 744
  • Brisket Smoking.jpg
    Brisket Smoking.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 744
  • Butts Cooking.jpg
    Butts Cooking.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 739
Ok guys here's my build
null.jpg

null-1.jpg

null-3.jpg

Just wondering, where did you get the drum from? I'm also in LA. I used a reconditioned drum for my first UDS. I got it from Apex drum, is that where you went?

Back