55 Gallon drum question

F

frost54

I'm looking for some ideas on where I might find an unlined 55 gal drum. Have been trying craigslist and some local searches with no luck. After reading many posts, I really need to make a UDS. Some guys seem to find them pretty easily but here in Clarksville, TN it seems to be kicking my arse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Good luck finding an unlined drum. I wasn't able to find one but I'm still looking. I ended up with a tan liner in mine.

I'm looking for some ideas on where I might find an unlined 55 gal drum. Have been trying craigslist and some local searches with no luck. After reading many posts, I really need to make a UDS. Some guys seem to find them pretty easily but here in Clarksville, TN it seems to be kicking my arse. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

You can try visiting a local food processor in the area if there are none on craig's list.

Have you tried Google? I can get a reconditioned drum here in Jacksonville for around $30. I called and verified they are bare metal inside. You just might find one somewhere near you.

You gotta be kidding me!

I don't know where Clarksville is, but you may have to drive to the nearest "big city" if you can't find a drum in your backyard.

Here are some likely spots to look for drums:

Feed Stores
Oil Company
Paint Co.
Diesel Shop
Construction Co.
Food processors
Drum & Barrel reconditioner
Salvage yard
Army Surplus

order a brand spanking new one from Grainger!

Most closed drums are unlined and a Weber kettle lid will fit in most cases.
Diesel shops have open drums with lids for lube, that usually comes packed in a plastic liner and some drums are unlined or painted with rust inhibitor, Paint companies use drums that have paint products in liners, soap makers use coconut oil etc, etc, get creative - beggars can't be choosers, or not!
Feed Stores sometimes sell drums for dry storage
Construction companies use drums for hazardous waste, overpack drums for those...
Food processors use drums of olive oil etc.....

just sayin'

Nashville??

Hang in there frostie...you'll find one. Swamp's got some good ideas for you. I had my drum for about six weeks before i stumbled across an old Weber kettle with usable lid on a dog walk.

You likely don't need to read the entire UDS thread but there is certainly some good info there. It's getting so big it's tough to navigate. When I read it it was much shorter.

Keep us posted and good luck.

drums

Hey Frost
Dickson tn native here. I got 2 for 10.00 each at our local farmers co-op.
they had them out back of the automotive dept. they had held some kind of alcohol they used for parts cleaning. they are closed end with no cap on the bung hole.
I filled one full of water to force out any fumes and cut the lid off with a cordless sawzall. cooked my first butt in it last weekend.
If I can find my camera again I will put up some pics of the build. if you can't find one let me know, I still have one I have not used yet.

Around here there are "Drum Recyclers and Re-conditioners". Find one and explain that you want a naked, stripped drum and they may give you a price break......

Go to a green energy fuel depot.
the dump.
Large Truck service garages.

Driving down the road see one go give em $15:wink:

Thanks for your replies guys. I was looking for a food grade barrel as I didn't think barrels that held anything else was good to use. I guess that opens things up a bit.

We got ours from auto body shops - varnish/thinner drums have no liner cuz the thinner would dissolve it.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

I would think Nashville would have a barrel recycler in the area. My first drums were lube barrels I scrounged up, burnt out and pressure washed, then I found a guy that had some 39" tall drums from Australia that he imported Bee pollen and Echinacea in, $20 each!

JD used to get closed drums from Stock Pot soups that contained olive and canola oil for FREE. Those were sweet- just cut the lid and drill the holes, start your fire and they were self seasoning!

Now if I need a drum, I go to the source! Al's Drum and Barrels in Seattle-family business since the late 1800's! Picked up a reconditioned 85 gallon drum with lid (looked brand new) and a new 15 gallon with lid for $100 cash! Al's a little suspicious - thinks everyone is from the EPA, so bring cash, don't ask a lot of questions and did I say bring cash??

Thanks for your replies guys. I was looking for a food grade barrel as I didn't think barrels that held anything else was good to use. I guess that opens things up a bit.
A food grade drum will have a liner to keep both then food product and drum safe.

Farm supply places usually have them. They ship 55 gal drums of suppliment in them. Usually reasonable priced.

You guys really know your ****e around here. Thanks for the link Seachaser. When I get up around the Knoxville area I'll give them a look.

Look for foodservice drums. I build smokers from stainless drums with stainless pony kegs underneath for the firepit, and get them from the military. Once in a while one has some chemical in it but a 3 hour fire will burn off any residue, after a good scrubbing.

Any metal recycling places in your area would be a good start- ask the owner to call you if he spots one.

Avoid drums with orange/red coatings inside. All reports from the UDS thread say its a royal beast to get out. Burn grind burn grind...

Back