MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-02-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
jditts
Found some matches.

Default No smoke?

Ok so I'm using my Masterbuilt electric smoker and maybe I'm doing something wrong.
I have wood chips in the pan, water in the tray and the lid is down on the wood chips. I'm not getting much smoke in the smoker. I definitely notice the smell/flavor in the smoker but no smoke. Am I doing something wrong or is this to be expected from an electric smoker??

Sooners fan
JDitts
jditts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 02:40 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

How does the food taste?

Just because you can't see the smoke, doesn't mean you are not getting smoke. I want the smoke to be barely visible, I get good smoke flavor anyways. Now, if you aren't getting smoke in the meat, then there is a problem. Do you soak the chips? How hot are you cooking?

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
jditts
Found some matches.

Just pulled the meat out of the smoker.
Did not soak chips as i saw several people say they got better results without soaking.
Cooking at 225.
jditts is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 04:36 PM   #4
brandonh1987
Full Fledged Farker

I hated my masterbuilt, which is why I sold it. I did not get any smoke flavor
brandonh1987 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #5
SmittyJonz

I have 30" Masterbuilt Electric about 6 years old - I only use it for Fish and Chicken Breasts now - meats that only smoke 2-3 hours and don't require much smoke. And I use it as holding/warmer cabinet. I find 220* was minimum to get smoke off chips - less temp and don't get much smoke- I can get 2-2 1/2 chip tray loads total and get about 45 minutes smoke each load so 1st tray then 45-50 minutes load another tray and 45 minutes later get maybe 1/2 tray chips in for another 20-25 minutes worth.

I did chicken, fish, ribs , butts and brisket but was never happy with smoke on butts and brisket - ribs were fair- so I built an UDS.
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #6
SmittyJonz

How do post videos?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
IamMadMan

My friend has one and he uses a combination of chips and pellets for smoke. The chips burn fast, and the pellets burn a little longer.

You don't need a big piece of wood to get a good smoke, in fact, when it comes to making "thin blue smoke", more is NOT necessarily better.

Sweet blue smoke is almost invisible. It can be seen even when it's "invisible", but you have to get the right angle of light on it. It's very thin, and wispy, and almost invisible.

follow your nose rather than your eyes. If you smell wood smoke, leave it alone, if you do not then add a few wood chips / chunks.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #8
IamMadMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
How do post videos?
to post a video, you have to have it available on the web for public access. Then click the "Insert Image" button and enter the URL address to the video.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Jditts, had the same problem with mine. The only time I seemed to have that problem was when I was cooking at lower temps. Try running at 250 or higher. Mine maxes out at 275 and that is where I cook for almost eveything. Havent had that problem since. Not sure which model you have but give it a try....good luck. No soaking.

Kingsford COS
Masterbuilt CES
WeberQ 220
Santa Maria 30x20
WGA
PBC
westy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 08:51 AM   #10
SmittyJonz

I can get better smoke on meat with my Webber Kettle.

Old 09-03-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
to post a video, you have to have it available on the web for public access. Then click the "Insert Image" button and enter the URL address to the video.
Almost correct

Upload the video to YouTube, make it public, and then just paste the link to the video into your post. The forum software will recognize it as a YouTube video and embed it in your post.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-03-2013, 12:12 PM   #12
Jason TQ

The Masterbuilt 30" was my first smoker and it definitely did its job, but I had trouble getting as much of smoke flavor and color into the meat. And from other folks that have used the smoker it seems as though it is just this way across the board. I used about every combination of wood chips, wet wood chips, dry & wet wood chips, pellets, wood chip & pellets, wet wood chips & pellets along with different temperatures and the color and smoke flavor was not exactly where I wanted it. That isn't to say the smoker doesn't make good food, but is the nature of that electric smoker.

The one thing I didn't try was I heard of some folks putting 1 or 2 lit briquettes somewhere around the smoke box and then placing a chunk of wood on that. But then you start getting into more of a charcoal smoker and so I just bought a WSM .

With the MES if you are trying to get as much smoke, whether flavor or color that others get with charcoal or burning sticks you might be chasing something that might never come to be..........relatively speaking of course.

Old 09-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #13
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Electric Smoker <------ There is the problem..

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
SmittyJonz

This is how I fixed my buddies MES 30 : (his element had burned up and no replacements)

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=e...m-upload_owner

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 09-03-2013 at 04:16 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #15
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
This is how I fixed my buddies MES 30 :

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=e...m-upload_owner
Nice!

My FIL just got one of these...I might need to show him some mods ;)
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote