Notice to contest organizers

moocow

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
As a cook and a contest volunteer I have seen both sides both sides of how a contest is run. It is not my intention to pick on organizers because we couldn't do this without them but hear are a few guidelines you should follow to have a great contest.

1.) Have a website with info and a team list, we like to know who we are competing against.

2.) Send out (mail/email) an information packet a week in advance of the contest.

3.) Have plenty of good volunteers, when you think you have enough get a few more.

4.) Have at least 2 volunteers taking carte of the teams at all times.

5.) Trash should not sit on the ground for more than 1 hour.

6.) Get the water for the teams, they set out there jugs and you fill them up in a timely manner.

7.) Your volunteers should know when, what and where everything is going down so they can let the teams know when they ask.

8.) If you volunteers have golf carts make sure they are offering rides to anyone who needs it.

9.) if you provide power make sure it is ready to go when teams get there and is reliable.

10.) Make sure you have enough judges.

Am I out of line with these?

Just a few of my thoughts, feel free to ad your comments. I have been at several contests this year where the volunteers are to busy drinking beer and giving there buddies rides on the cart to help you carry a 50 pound jug of water back to your site!

11.) When you receive a judge application. Pop off a note to him letting him know that you have received it.

12.) Reply to a judges email

13.) When you get close to the event date email the judges telling them where they stand as far as getting picked to judge. If you are planning for 40 teams and I'm 60th on the list. No problem...just let me know so I can make other plans.

11.) When you receive a judge application. Pop off a note to him letting him know that you have received it.

13.) When you get close to the event date email the judges telling them where they stand as far as getting picked to judge. If you are planning for 40 teams and I'm 60th on the list. No problem...just let me know so I can make other plans.

You beat me to it. LOL

If you sell ice from a specific spot, always have some one manning that spot. Don't make me wait for some one to show up with a key.

I am new to this competition game but in the 4 contests I have done this year 2 have done it right and 2 have not.

14)Have ash cans easily accessible.

One of the contests had 1 large ash can on other side of campground. Another contest did not want to pull out ash cans until after awards and the public leaves. Contest I did this past weekend, Mason City, had ash cans at each site so I know it can be done.

Sorry John. I'm on a rant! Out of 30 applications I sent out this year maybe half even acknowledged it right away!

Absolutely--what is so hard about acknowledging a judges interest in your contest!!! Some contests do it very well, some barely and some not at all!!!!

Let the teams know when you receive their application and if they are in or not!
I asked one organizer if he would let me know and he told me to check and see when my check clears the bank!!!

Don't make the teams hunt down the meat inspector.
Spent two hours at a comp last year trying to round up a meat inspector.

Provide teams various color flags/ribbons to hang for different needs, for instance pink for meat inspection, blue for water, yellow for ice - then a volunteer already knows what they need

Or a dispatch cell phone #

Yes, some organizers will keep you informed all the way through the process, others don't tell you squat even if you ask. The organizer who keeps everyone, cooks and judges, in the loop shows that he understands that we are more than just numbers on a spreadsheet.

Rather than ribbons i'd love to be able to text my needs: "two bags ice. Site 34" and it shows up:).

You know you are just inviting a "Notice to Contest Cooks" post, don't you?

Out of curiuousity, what are you nutty Midwesterners paying for a contest with no running water?

Rather than ribbons i'd love to be able to text my needs: "two bags ice. Site 34" and it shows up:).

Great idea.

Actually I'd expand that to say ice, meat inspection, power problems, questions, help, etc, etc.

And conversly, the organizer can get everyone's phone and send out texts with info on them (team meeting, changes, weather issues, etc, etc)

Back