THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Richard
After the last piece of this fish we picked up on a whim at our local farmer's market, I was sold. Had the Missus pick up another piece last Sunday. Decided to go with Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy this time:

IMG_4016.jpg

IMG_4018.jpg

Fired up the Kingsford Oval for indirect with a piece of cherry:

IMG_4021.jpg

Cherry wood catching fire after I flipped the fish:

IMG_4024.jpg

After 20 mins of smoke, over to the hot side:

IMG_4026.jpg

Here it is after I pulled it and ready for a 5 min rest:

IMG_4028.jpg

And finally, plated and ready to serve with pesto pasta, Meyer lemon wedges, and Caesar salad with The Missus' homemade croutons & dressing. She threw in a few pieces of tomato just to be different:

IMG_4029.jpg

It was as good as last time, perhaps even better. The Simply Marvelous Sweet & Spicy really complimented the fish beautifully!

Nice! Is Salmon the only fish good to smoke?

You can smoke any seafood you can think of oysters, clams, octopus, sea bass, mackerel, baby white seals, tuna, shrimp, lobster, shark, freshwater fish like trout, walleye (really good smoked eh!).

I'd like to add here quickly that the salmon was not smoked in the traditional style, but exposed to light smoke via indirect, then seared at the end. It was certainly more grilled than smoked.

Real smoked salmon is a whole 'nuther animal...

Very nice salmon, Moose! I guess I didn't even know New Zealand had Salmon. So what does it look like? Sheep with no legs??

That looked like a wonderful piece of fish. If it was sushi grade salmon, I believe I may have put a light smoke on it and ate sashimi style, but then again I'm a sucker for high quality fish. As far as smoking salmon goes.. I wish someone with expertise in cold smoking/curing would start a thread and share a little knowledge. That is some of the most yummy stuff on earth and I'd like to hear some different opinions, I don't mean to hijack... if you want to discuss it, start another thread. I was just giving Moose some props on a nice piece of meat.

Very nice salmon, Moose! I guess I didn't even know New Zealand had Salmon. So what does it look like? Sheep with no legs??

Har har....

New Zealand has two or three salmon rivers, in the South Island, however the Salmon Moose got was probably farmed not wild. The only way to get wild salmon in NZ is to catch it yourself, wild salmon cannot be commercially caught or traded. Same with trout.

Sheep, on the other hand, can be caught off any side road in NZ using a ball of twine and a handful of grass......

Dave

Back