• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

First UDS build

pmbasile06

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a free Craigslist 55 gallon barrel. I have done a little research on building a UDS barrel smoker but now that I have my barre, I am realizing that a sealed barrel is a little more complicated to deal with. I have tools and am confident I can remove the lid, however, I like the look of the flat top lid as opposed to the Weber dome style lid that seems to be much more popular on sealed barrels.

Does anybody have any experience on using a flat lid on a sealed barrel drum? How did you go about saving the top and creating an air tight seal? I can go back and get another barrel to cut another lid off but I don't know if that will help. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Someone posted this, somewhere. and I saved it.
picture.php

I'd cut at around 3-4 o'clock.
I own a angle grinder, but I grew up using a metal file for this sort of thing, too. Post what tools you own, and I'm sure someone can help you.

Last edited:
I have an angle grinder, chisels, basic hand tools, sawzall. I work in the trades so if I don't have a tool I probably work with somebody that does and have access to using it.

Yellowhair, how do you create an air tight seal grinding off at that spot?

I have an angle grinder, chisels, basic hand tools, sawzall. I work in the trades so if I don't have a tool I probably work with somebody that does and have access to using it.

Yellowhair, how do you create an air tight seal grinding off at that spot?
After a few cooks the drum will create is own gasket/seal.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

That is a rolled/crimped edge. You are just removing the under part (crimp) that holds that end on. You should be able to just set the lid back on top.
Don't cut to high, or your lid could blow off on windy days.
You could cut the under side edge of the rolled edge. A small amount of prying, and you should have a good fit and seal.

Alright sounds good. So it sounds like I grind through the lid but I don't go through the barrel. I should be able to handle that.

One more question; is there any trouble keeping condensation from the flat lid from dripping onto meat? Any suggestions to divert it away?

I have a flat lid and nothing happens when smoking. Only time I had water problem was when I put a big pan of water in there. I do not do that very often as I do not find the need. I would just put tin foil over the meat. Good luck with your build. I can send you a photo of my uds if you want. Also consider taking it to a sand blaster. It will cost a bit more but worth it for time.

Back