MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2013, 11:15 PM   #16
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

Check out the book "Artisan Bread In Five Minutes a Day." It has several easy recipes that can be used for pizza. The other nice thing about all the doughs in this book is that they can be stored in the fridge for up to 12 days.

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #17
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for starting this thread. So many great tips and recipes.

I have had fairly good results with Alton Brown's recipe, but it took a couple of times to get it right. If you find that the dough keeps springing back, try using more flour on the board. With a little patience you should be able to roll them quite thin.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
Thanks for starting this thread. So many great tips and recipes.

I have had fairly good results with Alton Brown's recipe, but it took a couple of times to get it right. If you find that the dough keeps springing back, try using more flour on the board. With a little patience you should be able to roll them quite thin.
If you have a good bit of trouble with spring back giving it a 10 min rest and then coming back would let the dough relax a bit and it would be a lot easier to roll out. I toss my crusts, but the principal is the same for rolling or hand tossed.

I've had issues using a good bit of flour on the board before, I was getting raw flour on the bottom and crust which didn't taste all that great or look all that nice on a finished pie. I started using semolina flour to keep it from sticking to my hands or counter and it works great. Doesn't burn like cornmeal would and is a good bit finer. Great flavor too.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #19
ehlersjohann
Found some matches.

Default Discuss Pizza Dough

This is one I found quite nice. Better than any store bought frozen base. I'm thinking of using this for my pizza place.
Source: http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_...zza-dough.html

Pizza Dough**

Ingredients:

*3*cups flour

1 1/4 cups warm/hot water

1* tablespoon olive oil

1* package Rapid Rise yeast**(about 2 teaspoons)

1/2 teaspoon sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

*(1 extra cup of flour for dusting and rolling our dough*etc.)

What to do?*

Before you begin tip:* run your bowl upside down under hot water - to get it warm.

*Put warm/hot water in bowl.

Sprinkle in 1 package of rapid rise yeast.

Sprinkle in sugar.

Set mixture aside for 2 minutes.

*Put in olive oil and salt.

*Mix with a warm or wooden spoon gently.

*Slowly stir in your flour.

*As you put in your last cup of flour, use your hands to mix dough gently in the bowl*- don't knead too much, just enough to incorporate ingredients.* Keep your dough in the bowl the whole time.

*Once all ingredients are fully incorporated, form your dough into a ball, and leave in bowl.

*Put a damp cloth over your bowl, and place your bowl in a very warm place for 30-45 mins.

*Once dough doubles, gently punch the dough down.

*Keep an extra bit of flour handy, you might need some here, as dough might be sticky after rising.

*Take dough out of bowl and place on flour dusted counter.

*Knead a little bit.* (I don't knead much at all, as the dough is pretty easy to get smooth)

*Just enough to smooth it out, and either separate into two balls for 2 medium pizzas, or make on huge pizza.

*Use extra flour for dusting counter*to roll out your dough, or if dough is a little too sticky.

*Once rolled out....

*Lightly dust your pizza baking sheet (or cookie sheet) with flour (you can use cornmeal, I personally like to dust with flour), then put your*dough on your sheet and pinch corners around.

*Now, let pizza dough*sit for 5 - 10mins.* (it will plump up a little more)

*(I use this time to get my toppings ready)

Then top as you wish, and bake in a 400' oven for 30 mins.*

(my mom's oven takes 45 mins - 1 hour)

*Judge it being ready when your cheese, toppings and/or crust edge have browned to your liking.

Tips:

You can use this recipe with any flour you wish.

I have made oatmeal flour before, and used the same recipe.* It worked out wonderfully.

Also, you can also use this dough for focaccia.

Make cheeseless, sauceless, or any kind of pizza you wish.

Remember, the more raw veggies you use, the more cook time, as they add lots of moisture.

I like to season my veggies a little before topping the pizza.

This is a wonderful base dough.*

The sky is the limit!* Enjoy ;)
ehlersjohann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:37 AM   #20
ehlersjohann
Found some matches.

Default Discuss Pizza Dough

Try this one. Very great results. I'm going to be using this recipe in my pizza place. http://afancifultwist.typepad.com/a_...zza-dough.html
ehlersjohann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #21
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

This is the one I use. Kinda took the best of the many recipes I've tried and it evolved to this. The key, for me anyway, is to have at least a 50% hydration dough. You want a fairly wet dough for easier working and so that it sort of steams itself like a baguette, giving you the crisp, chewy texture. The bread flour plus the wheat gluten just adds to the chewiness and refines the overall texture.

2 cups bread flour plus more for kneading
1 cup WARM (100˚-110˚) water
2 tsp active dry yeast
2TB olive oil
1TB Vital Wheat gluten with vitamin C
2 tsp sugar
1tsp salt.
Optional: 2TB Italian seasoning.

1. Mix the water and yeast and let sit for 10 minutes or until foamy on top.
2. Add 1 cup of flour. Mix until the consistency of thick pancake batter, cover loosely and allow to sit on the counter in a warm kitchen overnight.**
3. The next day it will be bubbly and have a slight sourdough aroma. Mix the remaining ingredients and knead until the dough is elastic and passes the windowpane test. Be careful to not knead in too much additional flour, as this will make the dough tough. You want it just barely sticky.
4. Place in a greased bowl, lightly cover and allow to rise in a warm place for 1 to 2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
5. Turn out onto a lightly floured board or counter, punch down and form into pizzas. This recipe should make 2 10" pies.
6. Bake in a 450˚ oven on a cookie sheet or the bottom of an overturned cast iron skillet for 15-20 minutes## or until toppings are done and crust is golden brown.
7. Enjoy!

**If you're pressed for time, you can mix everything and skip the overnight wait. It will still be delicious, it just wont' have the sourdough twang and won't be quite as chewy.
## The timing is variable depending on the thickness of the crust, the toppings, your oven, what you're cooking etc... Use your eyes and nose.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 11:48 AM   #22
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Pizzamaking.com They are to Pizza, what bbq brethren is to bbq
MI Smoke is online now   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-22-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
Yeah, but can you get great BBQ advice too there?

Thanks for the link, I'm gonna check them out

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 03-22-2013 at 12:27 PM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #24
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

For a great basic baking tutorial I can't recommend the book Ratio by Michael Rhulman highly enough. Lots of great info on how to take a basic ratio of ingredients and adjust it for almost endless uses including taking a basic bread ratio of 5 parts flour: 3 parts liquid and adjusting it slightly by swapping out a little water with a little olive oil and turning it into a great pizza dough.

[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #25
Mark

Name/Nickname : Mark

Hey Bull

My $0.02:

I think pizza making should be relatively easy and more nutritional.

Like others, I usually use the "no knead" (a.k.a. Mark Bittman) method for making dough (letting it sit at room temperature overnight). Then I just pull it out into a more or less round shape on a greased cookie sheet. Then onto a hot grill without a pan, stone or anything then turn it over after a minute then add remaining topping ingredients (while on the grill).

A food processor can also make good/easy pizza dough more quickly as can a stand mixer.

The main criteria, like others have already mentioned, is defining what you want in a crust.

I like mine relatively thin but substantial in nutrients and crusty. For me, nothing beats Indian "atta" flour. The bad thing is you got to find an Indian grocery store to purchase it. Look for atta that is 100% whole wheat durum. It's cheap (like $1/pound) and highly nutritional. Probably the best choice for diabetics too (like me).

The only thing better than atta is grinding your own. Which is what I'm just learning to do.

Mark

A thin line separates paranoia from an acute understanding of reality.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 02:40 PM   #26
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
Great site. A friend here gave me that link years ago when we were both obsessed with making the perfect pizza. When I read about people disabling the safety devices on their oven to cook at high temps I was hooked!

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:56 PM   #27
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

In my opinion, this post hits it outta the park with both slow and quick variations, great pics and instructions, and killer results that even I can get right! http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hp?%20t=103444

Old 03-22-2013, 07:48 PM   #28
Bartkowiakj
Knows what a fatty is.

Maybe this isnt the answer you are looking for but ---------- We have always used frozen bread dough. Easy to use, great taste, and minimum clean up.
Bartkowiakj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 08:16 PM   #29
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Hey Bull

My $0.02:

I think pizza making should be relatively easy and more nutritional.

Like others, I usually use the "no knead" (a.k.a. Mark Bittman) method for making dough (letting it sit at room temperature overnight). Then I just pull it out into a more or less round shape on a greased cookie sheet. Then onto a hot grill without a pan, stone or anything then turn it over after a minute then add remaining topping ingredients (while on the grill).

A food processor can also make good/easy pizza dough more quickly as can a stand mixer.

The main criteria, like others have already mentioned, is defining what you want in a crust.

I like mine relatively thin but substantial in nutrients and crusty. For me, nothing beats Indian "atta" flour. The bad thing is you got to find an Indian grocery store to purchase it. Look for atta that is 100% whole wheat durum. It's cheap (like $1/pound) and highly nutritional. Probably the best choice for diabetics too (like me).

The only thing better than atta is grinding your own. Which is what I'm just learning to do.

Mark
Excellent post Mark.
One reason Atta flour is so good is the dryness of the agricultural product, so I recommend Aussie flour if it is available as man it is good for pizza.
Also as a point of interest, Bittman and Lahey are riding the "no knead" fashion and I love their work but no knead as a method is ancient, and was also highly fashionable some 60 years ago.
It develops great flavor, but profit margins and storage issues and technology to speed things along in the business keep seeing it sidelined.
At home, it is absolutely the way to go for us!

Old 03-22-2013, 08:19 PM   #30
buccaneer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbuddy View Post
Thanks for posting this.
I thought it was an updated recipe from Lahey so I tried it.
I think it may be a interweb thing where he is credited but it isn't his, but the original recipe I use by Jim is far better than this one.
The recipe in my thread link on page one.
HTH & YMMV