• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Salmon on the Weber Kettle

F

Fiddy/Fiddy

I am planning to grill up some Salmon on the Kettle later this week. My past Salmon's have come out okay. They were still a little drier than I would have liked.

- I have tried cooking them over the hot zone for only a 2 minutes each side w/ no time on the indirect. A half a Chimney of Maple Leaf Lump.

- I tried cooking the Salmon in a Skillet. It was moist but it did not get much smoke Flavor with that approach.

- I tried using the indirect zone only for the last cook. I cooked it at 250-280 F for 12 minutes. It was decent but a litttle dry on the outside 3 mm of te meat.

- I have my trusty red Thermapen to help me out. I am wondering what other approaches other have tried for grilling Salmon on the Weber Kettle?

have you tried them on a plank? perhaps basting it while its cooking?

i've done some indirect on the kettle with no problems. as asked, maybe overcooking them ? it don't take long.

The bigger problem is Alberta is the super low humidity outside. The colas we get to winter the drier the air gets. I notice it gets harder to grill fish during the fall and winter. The center is remaining moist and tasty. It's the outer 2-3 mm of the meat that is drying out a little that seems to dry out a little bit.

I am wondering if I should stick some water or apple juice in a drip pan below the indirect cooking air to compensate for the really dry air outside.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to be a VERY serious fly fisherman. I did a good bit of fishing for salmon (King Salmon) in the tributaries to the Great Lakes. The fishing guides I met were very competent grillers of salmon.

They suggested that I grill fillets, skin side down on the grill. Time the cook and when the flesh separated from the fat (the fat layer just melted away), then immediately flip the filet and cook the second side the same amount of time.

This method worked very well for me. You may have to adjust a bit but I found the advice VERY sound for nice, moist, but well cooked fish.

FWIW
Dale53

Back