3st Tippycanoe BBQ Crew
4th Emerald Buffalo
5th Big T's Q Crew
6th Ribs 4 U
7th Ritters BBQ
8th Smoke On Wheels
9th Smoken Guns
10th 4 Miles Smoken Crew

I came in 15th in brisket, 40th overall out of 68 and I wont talk about the rest of the story except I got my first comment cards ever and both told me my chicken was good but so cold it seemed as if they had been refrigerated and would have scored better if that was not the case. I do wonder which category it was scored down in the taste or tenderness can't really tell from the scores, how would you have scored food that is very cold?
Dave

Congratulations!

Was your chicken done really early? Just curious on how it could get so cold in that short amount of time.

Dave,
thats a hard question to answer. If the chicken is cold then the flavor just wont taste the same. The chicken will probably also score more on the dry side and because it really wont moist. I have had that happen once and i dont remember exactly what i thought.

I can tell you it was bite through skin and very moist. I had some overheating issues with my smoker and everything was done way early plus it was very cold and windy the first part of the morning. I left it in a foil pan with the juice it cooked in and covered it with news paper and thick towels until time to make the boxes. I did not get to try the chicken until later that morning and the weather had warmed up some so it was not very cold or so I thought. The cards did say it was very good just cold. When I have judged the chicken has always been very warm because it is the first turn in and usually has just come off the cooker so it will normally be warm or even very hot sometimes so I am guessing since mine must have been cool it was such a big swing from the other samples and it may have made it seem much colder than it was but thats just a shot in the dark. Some of the judges must have not minded because aside from one 5 and and 6 in taste and two 6s in tenderness the rest were 7s 8s and 9s, guess some were just being nice.
Dave

I too got my first comment card ever this weekend...got a 4 in tenderness in brisket and the card said it was a "bit" overdone (and I will say the judge was correct it was a bit overdone, just not sure it was a 4 overdone:p). Not that it would have mattered either way, just thought it was interesting. Glad I got the card to explain.

Overall, it was a great weekend. Bruce and the volunteers did an awesome job or taking care of the teams and the weather even cooperated on Saturday.

Nice to see 3 Iowa teams in the top 5, just sayin:becky::boxing::tape:

Congrats to all who heard their name!!

I think comment cards could help to improve your game. Wether u agree with them or not is another matter. Either way your gonna get your score from them, its just nice to know what they liked or didn't like.

Congrats to Great Grills and all who walked. It looked like a pretty tough field to play in this weekend.

I think comment cards could help to improve your game. Wether u agree with them or not is another matter. Either way your gonna get your score from them, its just nice to know what they liked or didn't like.

Oh I agree and realize they could have said something far worse, I was just wondering which category, taste or tenderness it was indicated on.
Dave

I too got my first comment card ever this weekend...got a 4 in tenderness in brisket and the card said it was a "bit" overdone (and I will say the judge was correct it was a bit overdone, just not sure it was a 4 overdone:p). Not that it would have mattered either way, just thought it was interesting. Glad I got the card to explain.

Overall, it was a great weekend. Bruce and the volunteers did an awesome job or taking care of the teams and the weather even cooperated on Saturday.

Nice to see 3 Iowa teams in the top 5, just sayin:becky::boxing::tape:

Congrats to all who heard their name!!

Well despite your brisket card you managed to do very well so congrats and yes it was a great weekend.
Dave

Back