What are your secrets to rubs?

• Thread starter InviteBuddha2YourBBQ
  • Start date
If I told you the secrets to my rubs, they wouldn't be secrets anymore.

Kind of a "Catch 22", dontcha think?

You are using too much of this, and not enough of that. The this to that ratio has to be just right.

CD

Don't forget the other thing. Many people do, and everyone know that you gott have this, that and the other thing.....in correct proportion.

Goto the spice isle of your store, buy a rub, then go to the beer isle and get more beer.The time you save not making a rub you can spend drinking more beer.You have to do it in this order cuz if you get the beer first you may forget to buy the rub.

If you are using anything other than salt pepper and butcher's paper, you are most likely doing it way wrong.

First off, If Deguerre or BigMista, or Pitmaster X, or Pitmaster T or Moose (to name a few) are the ones telling you that you're wrong, then shut the hell up and listen.

Next, the problem is beer. You're drinking too much of it, so there's nothing left in the rub. A good rule of thumb is a shot of beer for you, and two shots for the meat.

Third, go buy a commercial rub, and look at the ingredients. Add some beer to it and see what happens. Repeat this step until you get it right.

Try Tenda Rub first and go from there!!:-D
Just in case is meat rub thing unrelated to beer or spices...:laugh:

Here's a recipe that will definitely keep them from complaining next time

1 tblsp Salt
1 tblsp Pepper
1 cup ground habenero pepper
1 cup ground ghost pepper

To keep it from being too spicey you have to give it a heavy coating. It's like English, if you have a double negative it makes a positive. The 2 hot peppers will equal each other out and turn out sweet.

Here's a recipe that will definitely keep them from complaining next time

1 tblsp Salt
1 tblsp Pepper
1 cup ground habenero pepper
1 cup ground ghost pepper

To keep it from being too spicey you have to give it a heavy coating. It's like English, if you have a double negative it makes a positive. The 2 hot peppers will equal each other out and turn out sweet.

You forgot to brine them in a mix of Frank's Hot Sauce and Trinidad Scorpion peppers.

Same recipe works with ABTs, except the name changes to NBTs Nuclear Bowel Trauma.

My flavor profile consists of the following: A little bit of sweet mixed with a little bit of heat.

If this person is going to get this rub thing right, the heat is going to have to be "in the back". That's the tough part and its the only way to do it without complaints.

I used some Penzey Northwoods Fire on some ribs last weekend.

I learnt that a good ingredient would be salt. You need some salt in a rub :oops:

Back