MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM   #1
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Default Coffee Steak - some nice Pr0n

Coffee on a steak? Actual coffee grounds? I know it sounds a little nuts, but trust me, it’s outstanding. First off, I want to point out what cut of steak that is. It’s a teres major. What is a teres major steak? Other than awesome? It’s from a little used muscle in the shoulder of the cow and is the second most tender cut of beef other than the tenderloin. If you are familar with the flat iron, which is also extremely tender, you will know that the flat iron is a steak comprised of two muscles combined by some connective tissue. One of those muscles is the teres minor.

Not only is the teres major extremely tender, it’s also cheap. Like $8/pound at Kenrick’s where these came from. Don’t look for them at your local grocer. Every now and again, they might carry it under the name petite tender or shoulder tender, but for the most part, they won’t have any idea what you’re talking about. You have to go to a full service butcher shop like Kenrick’s here in St. Louis who carries them all the time, although you better get there before my dad does. When he goes, he buys them out. He has good reason to, it may be my favorite steak, it’s that good. I go into the teres major a little more here.

Now let’s get to the recipe for the coffee steak.

Ingredients:
4 steaks (you don’t have to use teres majors for this)
1/2 cup finely ground coffee (I used a decaf hazelnut blend that I ground myself a couple days before at my local grocery store. Decaf is not a necessity.)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp white pepper
Salt to coat the steaks

That’s not a teres major steak. I made this rub three days in a row. I was just as leery as you are about making a steak with coffee on it. I thought there would be a 50/50 chance it would be any good. The first night I made it, I put it on the tiniest filet you’ve ever seen to see if it was any good. It was outstanding so I decided it was website worthy. The next night, I decided to try it on a salmon filet and take some pics of the ingredients. The third night, I made the steak you will see below for dad to try.

Combine all the ingredients except the salt, I did this ever so appropriately in a coffee cup:

Coat each side of the steak with coarse salt and then cover with the rub and let it come to room temperature:

Here’s a picture of the teres major covered with the rub next to two other teres majors that were getting a coating of jerk that night:

This is my standard method for grilling a steak. While the steaks are coming up to room temp, I set up the grill for two zone grilling with an incredibly hot fire on one side and nothing on the other:

The steak goes over the hot side of the grill for about 90 seconds to sear, is rotated 45 degrees and seared another 90 seconds, flipped and repeated, and then put on the side of the grill with no heat and the lid put on to bake the steak to desired doneness. Times vary depending on the heat of the fire.

I want to warn you that with the brown sugar in the rub, the steak is going to look like it’s burnt:

That looks like it’s more charcoal than steak, but it’s fine. Trust me.
After it bakes on the side with no heat for a few minutes, it was pulled and allowed to rest:

Notice how thick it is? The teres major does something very cool. It puffs up as it cooks. By the time you pull it from the grill, it will be almost twice as thick as it was when you put it on.

And here it is sliced:

And here’s an extra money shot of a piece right before dad devoured it:

What did we drink with the coffee steak? You can’t go with something mild. This 2002 Pax Syrah from Dad’s buddy Don H. did the job nicely:

And this rub is excellent on salmon as well. Here are a couple shots I took when I put it on salmon:

The only thing I would’ve done differently with the salmon is that I would’ve put it on a maple plank next time. I think the maple smoke and coffee would make for a dynamite combo.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-09-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I love coffee for beef rubs! Never thought to try it with salmon, sounds good!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #3
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
+1 It all looks awesome!

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Rumblefish
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Your steak looks amazing. On my way to the butcher.
Rumblefish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:42 AM   #5
buffalotom
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up

Steak looks great. I never thought of using it on salmon. Coffee rub is one of my favorites on steak. Especially on an outdoor campfire.
buffalotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
It was one of those things, I had tried the rub the night before and really enjoyed it. I was at the grocery store looking for inspiration and the salmon looked great, so I decided to try it. I'm glad I did... Probably wouldn't work on any other fish except salmon.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:09 AM   #7
Myrdhyn
Full Fledged Farker

My "go-to" house rub has coffee in it. I never thought to put it on salmon though. As my wife was just asking for grilled fish the other day, I'll be trying it soon.

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post

(I used a decaf hazelnut blend that I ground myself a couple days before at my local grocery store. Decaf is not a necessity.)

Nice looking steak and salmon.

I'm not a big fan of coffee in rubs mainly because the coffee doesn't soften in cooking and can be gritty. I do use coffee regularly in sauces and marinades in it's liquid form.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

That looks wonderful! I've done a coffee/burbon marinade for brisket and it was great. The coffee was brewed though, we'll have to give the grounds a try in a rub!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM   #10
deguerre

Redhot and I use coffee as a major ingredient in a beef marinade/injection we do but I've never used the grounds for a rub before. Now I will!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post

Nice looking steak and salmon.

I'm not a big fan of coffee in rubs mainly because the coffee doesn't soften in cooking and can be gritty. I do use coffee regularly in sauces and marinades in it's liquid form.
Make sure to grind it as finely as possible and it's not gritty at all....

Old 01-09-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
deguerre

11:18 Triple post!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Make sure to grind it as finely as possible and it's not gritty at all....
I have a commercial espresso grinder. It's still gritty. Like sand.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #14
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I was reading last night about brewed coffee being used in a brine for chicken. Sounded kindy funky, but I was intrigued. That steak looks very juicy and good. I would try this!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 AM   #15
Phubar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I have a commercial espresso grinder. It's still gritty. Like sand.

Try a pestle and mortar.

Coffee works great on pork too...

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->