• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Beef vs Pork Ribs

BevoBurn96

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Since ribs are a hot topic today and I have very little experience with ribs, I thought I'd ask: What differences should one observe in cooking method between beef ribs and pork ribs? I've read up on the 3-2-1 for pork....does the same work for beef?

Yes.. actually works better for beef if using a UDS. Time varies with temp. Pork ribs for me and my uds are 2-1~1.5-2 at around 250

I do not use 3-2-1 for either pork or beef. It is pretty close for beef backs in my opinion, and wrapping beef backs doesn't hurt. Beef shorts are another story. They really don't cook like ribs. They are more like cooking brisket point.

Does everyone just go off of the meat pulling back from the bone or temp or some other tell to know when either is done?

I guess if the meatier beef ribs are like brisket, then just probe tender?

If you are talking about reg back ribs for beef. Don't bother even cooking them.

Short ribs, like someone said above, is not like cooking ribs at all. I cook them for 2-3 hours fairly hot (300-325ish) till the meat retreats about an inch off the bone and there is a good dark bark - then move them to the back of the pit for a few more hours till probe tender. wrap with butcher paper if you think they are getting too dark.

They will take 5-6 hours min. and can take as long as 7-8.

Back