• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What type of hickory is this?

S

smokeinthenoke

I got a HUGE load of hickory this week for cheap, but I'm not sure exactly what type it is. It looks different from the last stuff I found. Not really sure what that was either. I only know that neither were shagbark. Anyone good at identifying wood? I ask because there's more where this load came from, and after testing it (too early really, it wasn't quite dry enough) in the smoker, I think I like the flavor better than what I was using before.

2013-05-15064516_zps7e132c53.jpg

2013-05-15064333_zpscbd917e7.jpg

If it really is a hickory (best way to be 100% sure is the leaf) then that, with no doubt in my mind is a Black Hickory.

EDIT: Also, where did you get the Hickory from? Black Hickory is NOT native to the VA area.

Thanks everyone. Now I know what to keep an eye out for. I mixed this with some peach wood and cooked some chicken thighs with just my rub. Best ever. Good thing I bought so much my trailer was over its weight limit :twisted:

What other name(s) is black hickory known as, it is not listed at my favorite tree ID site-
http://dendro.cnre.vt.edu/dendrology/data_results_with_common.cfm?state=unknown

I don't know off hand. I've always known it as Black Hickory. It is not in the VA Tech search probably because it is not native to the eastern seaboard. Its mostly a Ozark region hickory. Scientific name is Carya Texana.

After educating myself on Pignut, it is probably the more likely candidate. My quick assumption was based solely on the bark of Black Hickory, which oddly enough is almost identical to Pignut.

My mistake fellas :oops:

I don't know off hand. I've always known it as Black Hickory. It is not in the VA Tech search probably because it is not native to the eastern seaboard. Its mostly a Ozark region hickory. Scientific name is Carya Texana.

After educating myself on Pignut, it is probably the more likely candidate. My quick assumption was based solely on the bark of Black Hickory, which oddly enough is almost identical to Pignut.

My mistake fellas :oops:

You have nothing to be sorry for brother!!! It's likely the same tree, just a different geographical location!!!

Back