• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Pot O Pintos today

thillin

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Started a pot of Dr BBQ's "Real Pinto Beans" from his Big Time BBQ book. I made a few adjustments. I used 3 different chili powders. San Antonio, New Mexico and chipotle chili powders. Give ya'll some updates this afternoon.

Stovetop. I havn't tried in the smoker yet. Not sure if I want them to get alot of smoke. I usually add smoked meat for a hint of smoke.

I normally use some salt pork, with a lot of the fat cut off, for the meat in my pintos -- your comment on putting some smoked meat in there makes me wonder if I smoke the salt pork before I put it in, if it would be a big improvement?

Gonna try that next time :mrgreen:

Then a little cole slaw and some cornbread and I'm all set.
Man, now I need some pintos and they take too long to cook for dinner tonight!

worthless_thread_without_pics.gif

Beans

Pintos are good but my favorite is Great White Northern with smoked turkey wing and leg hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm:wink:

Sounds good!

Can you share the recipe? I don't have his book...

Can you share the recipe? I don't have his book...

Sorry keale.

This is copyrighted material, and is not a reprint.

DrBBQ is a Brethren in high standing, and has extended many courtesy's to the group (even having Phil host a Brethren only cooking class last month (or 3/31)

Just watch around here, as when good books like his hit a sale, people will post about it, and Ray will get what he earned.

I'll PM you a bean recipe that is pretty darned good (and I like the Doctored Bush Bean post by DFLittle in the Recipe link at the top of the page)

I normally use some salt pork, with a lot of the fat cut off, for the meat in my pintos -- your comment on putting some smoked meat in there makes me wonder if I smoke the salt pork before I put it in, if it would be a big improvement?

Gonna try that next time :mrgreen:

Ah yes--one of my favorites.

I use beef broth instead of water.
Lots, and lots, and lots of left over brisket, rib tips, ham, or whatever is in the freezer. Easily as much meat as beans.
I add finely diced bell peppers--green, red, and yellow for flavor and color. About 1/2 a pepper or so of each for 1 lb of beans.
I use finely chopped onions at the beginning for flavor and some larger slices one hour from the end for "texture".
I add a can of tomatoes, or a chopped up tomato and a can of tomato paste the last hour.

A little garlic sauce and spices to taste. I use 1/2 at the beginning and 1/2 the last hour to layer the flavors.

Lots of fun and flexibility.

Good Luck.

TIM

You guy's are making me want to put on a pot of beans.

Finished beans with some cornbread cooked in my cast iron crappie pan.

Attachments

• IMG_4438.JPG
    IMG_4438.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 92
Back