DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
After searching the web, trying to figure out what to make for the “Tubesteak & Sauceagefest” Throwdown, I settled on doing a salute to my (mostly) German heritage. A Sausage Platter with Rotkohl, German Potato Salad and a couple of soft pretzels with mustard. First I made the German Potato Salad. Here are most of the ingredients:

Boiling the potatoes. (Look at the Jasmine blooming on the back fence. Beautiful!)

After they were cooked I placed them in an ice bath to stop the cooking and make peeling easier.

After they were cool and dry I diced them and added all the other dry ingredients.

Then I took 4 slices of bacon, diced and then cooked them. I used the bacon grease to help reheat the potato salad and reserved the crumbles.

I combined the water, vinegar and sugar and brought to a boil. I then whisked in 1 beaten egg and pour this over the reheating potato salad and stirred.

Also made some Rotkohl (German Red Cabbage) Here are the ingredients:

• 2 pounds red cabbage, very thinly sliced
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely diced
  • 1 large Granny Smith or other semi-tart apple, peeled, cored and diced
  • ¼ cup butter (paleo: use grass fed or oil, vegans: use oil)
  • 2 tablespoons [ame][URL="http://www.amazon.com/gp...r.com/8768/17155750467_1f419276bc_z.jpg[/IMG]

Cooked the onions

and the added the cabbage.

After 5 minutes I added the balance of the ingredients.

And then let it simmer for 1.5 hours.

Got out the Weisswurst, Knackwurst and the Bratwurst.

I then took my 13” C.I. skillet and melted in 1/2 stick of butter.

and threw in 1 sliced up onion.

After the onions had caramelized in carefully poured in a beer.

I then placed in the bratwurst, Weisswurst and Knackwurst

and move it over to the indirect side and let them cook.

Here is everything plated with some soft pretzels and a good German beer about to be poured into my favorite stein.

And here is the money shot below.

Das wunderbar! :becky:

Looks very good. Awesome when you can sample a few varieties. One thing though, those are some high-dollar wieners$!

Looks like a great dinner, and thank for sharing the recipes, they sound delicious!

I checked out T & H Prime meats too, looks like they have some fantastic products, wish we had a place like that in these parts.

KC

Last edited:
I like the look of your sausage! I know it's getting warm there but what about some kartoffelpuffers?

Outstanding feast!
tens.gif

Das sieht ganz gut aus!!

Reminds me of our trip to Bavaria last summer. Great looking food.

Throw Down?

After searching the web, trying to figure out what to make for the “Tubesteak & Sauceagefest” Throwdown, I settled on doing a salute to my (mostly) German heritage. A Sausage Platter with Rotkohl, German Potato Salad and a couple of soft pretzels with mustard.

Hi Is there a link to the Throw Down?
Thx DanB

Back