MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-11-2011, 10:59 AM   #106
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by daedalus View Post
Please forgive my ignorance, but I cannot seem to find the replay anywhere on the KCBS site...can you give me a link or tell me where it is located? I would very much like to hear it.
Thanks
Go to KCBS.us. On the main page, click resources, then downloads. The particular meeting I referred to was titled KCBS Board of Directors meeting and dated 5/25. I believe you need to be a member to access it
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-01-2011, 12:16 PM   #107
bbqbrad
On the road to being a farker

What I may be asking the reps in the future is "Are the flying BBQ judges going to be judging here? If so, I don't want to come". If the BoD keeps hearing it from the reps, they may understand that some of us are not happy with the way these KCBS Judges are representing the organization. Sorry, but insulting and bullying a cook isn't a part of an organization that I want to support. And that's the way it looks to me.
hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-01-2011, 02:47 PM   #108
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Someone with the skill to do so should start a petition of sorts lobbying the KCBS BoD to do the right thing and enforce the rules. If enough members sign it maybe they'll get the picture that preferential treatment shouldn't be tolerated. If it is a rule for one person it should be a rule for all.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 01:44 PM   #109
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I don't want to stir up this original intent of this thread as the actions were truly distasteful. My intent of this post is to thank the BoD of KCBS for not only hearing its constituents but listening and taking action. It written in the latest Bullsheet that there will be an addendum to the KCBS CBJ rules addressing the issue of consuming alcohol prior to judging.
On the first infraction the judge will be replaced that day and will receive a letter from KCBS.
On a subsequent infraction, the judge will not be able to judge for a period of up to 1 year, will have to retake the CBJ course and will then have to write a letter to KCBS asking to be reinstated as a CBJ.
This course of action is quite fair in my opinion being that cooks face similar penalties and it is nice to see that judges will be held to the same standards.
Thanks to Randy Bigler for submitting this rule change, to Tana Shupe for seconding the motion, and the rest of the BoD for a unanimous vote of approval.
KCBS CBJ & TC #55078
IBCA #2570
Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-04-2011, 10:07 PM   #110
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
Some days i am hoping for a loaded judge to get my food.......

[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 01:53 PM   #111
M@
Got rid of the matchlight.

As a new judge - I take the "No Drinking" rule very seriously. There is also advice to avoid soda before judging, and I take that to heart. I usually only have a cup of coffee the morning of a competition I am judging... and the first time I was worried about even that.

I was a table captain for the first time at the Harpoon competition a few weeks ago - and asked (1/2 joking) if the table captains could have a beer during the judging process. I (still joking) argued that my palette wasn't being utilized, but afterwards when I realized how much food I was carrying around and how bad it would be if I dropped something, or messed up the numbering etc... - I concluded the "no drinking for anyone in the judging tent" is the correct rule. The double blind system is as simple as possible - but even then there are a number of places where a clear mind will prevent easy mistakes.

BBQ goes really well with beer. Good BBQ is quite probably the perfect food to have with good Beers, but drinking by a judge is wrong on a ton of levels.

That being said: I think judges should get a TON of beer tickets at these brewery hosted events!

M@
KCBS Judge #58589 - Certified 2010
M@ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 07:43 AM   #112
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnivorous Endeavors BBQ View Post
I don't want to stir up this original intent of this thread as the actions were truly distasteful. My intent of this post is to thank the BoD of KCBS for not only hearing its constituents but listening and taking action. It written in the latest Bullsheet that there will be an addendum to the KCBS CBJ rules addressing the issue of consuming alcohol prior to judging.
On the first infraction the judge will be replaced that day and will receive a letter from KCBS.
On a subsequent infraction, the judge will not be able to judge for a period of up to 1 year, will have to retake the CBJ course and will then have to write a letter to KCBS asking to be reinstated as a CBJ.
This course of action is quite fair in my opinion being that cooks face similar penalties and it is nice to see that judges will be held to the same standards.
Thanks to Randy Bigler for submitting this rule change, to Tana Shupe for seconding the motion, and the rest of the BoD for a unanimous vote of approval.
I agree with you 100% and I too commend the BOD for creating specific consequences for this particular infraction. I also think that the escalating sanctions are very fair and appropriate.
Having said that, I still think they are missing the main point. The real issue here, IMHO, is not so much about the drinking. The really unfortunate part about this situation is the lack of respect shown by some of the judges after they were caught. As mentioned before, the BOD completely glossed over this entire aspect of the issue when they were deliberating it. The issue of respecting other cooks, judges, reps, etc., is supposed to be one of the core philosophies in the KCBS, and they have even written it into their rules. I understand that there is some grey area as to what is and is not "disrespectful", but If they are not willing to at least discuss these issues when they arise, then why do they bother espousing those principles in the first place?

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 08:35 AM   #113
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Way to go, Diva! I'm a CBJ and if I witnessed judges drinking before a comp I'd turn them in too. There is no excuse for it. Judging is over by 2:30PM at the latest around here and the idea that someone can't wait until at least the afternoon to start drinking is probably an indication that they may have bigger issues in their life to deal with than participating in a KCBS event.

I think the BoD made the right move with the addendum to the rules.

Now, if we could do something about drinking cooks who drop their BBQ on the ground and still turn it in for judges to eat (as happened to a rib I was asked to judge recently) I think some more progress could be made. Does anyone really like the idea of eating food cooked by someone who is drunk?

Old 08-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #114
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

I think it's sad they had to make an addendum. The rule was already in place.
But at least now nobody can claim they "didn't know about it"
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 01:19 PM   #115
Disconnect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Now, if we could do something about drinking cooks who drop their BBQ on the ground and still turn it in for judges to eat (as happened to a rib I was asked to judge recently) I think some more progress could be made. Does anyone really like the idea of eating food cooked by someone who is drunk?
Weren't you able to DQ it on foreign-material and not eat it?

Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 04:06 PM   #116
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disconnect View Post
Weren't you able to DQ it on foreign-material and not eat it?

Without going into a lot of the details, after a discussion among the KCBS reps they eventually left it up to me to judge it or not. They felt that the dried grass and other plant matter could have fell in the box while it was open. But, that was a bit of a stretch, IMO.

I thought it over and decided that if I could find a spot on it that I could take a bite from I'd judge it. However, I doubt that a lot of other judges would have been so forgiving.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #117
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
Way to go, Diva! I'm a CBJ and if I witnessed judges drinking before a comp I'd turn them in too. There is no excuse for it. Judging is over by 2:30PM at the latest around here and the idea that someone can't wait until at least the afternoon to start drinking is probably an indication that they may have bigger issues in their life to deal with than participating in a KCBS event.

I think the BoD made the right move with the addendum to the rules.

are you sure they were drunk. i,ve seen people drop things sober

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2011, 08:14 PM   #118
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt head View Post
are you sure they were drunk. i,ve seen people drop things sober
I don't want to get into the details of when, where, who, etc., but I'm sure that sober cooks have dropped things and then served them. But, to me, that's just as bad as judging a comp when drinking and maybe someone should have mentioned it to a comp rep if they witnessed it.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:23 AM   #119
Disconnect

I would expect a sober competitor to at least clean off the grass and dirt if they were gonna try to turn it in anyway..
Disconnect is offline   Reply With Quote