• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

HELP!!!! Cook Time for a 14 lb Rib Roast????????

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
OK.....so I'm freakin out a little bit.....

I thought I had this ALLLLLLLLL figured out and now I'm getting worried!

I have a 14 lb rib roast (bone-in).
I'm gonna cook it at 225-250 in the SSDS.

I have a recipe that tells me that a rib roast will take 1/2 hr per lb.
Thirdeye posted a couple of times and said a 14 lb'er would take about 4.5 hrs and also that a 5 lb roast took him about 2.5 hrs.
I just googled a bunch of roast recipes and Robert Irvine (Food Network) says 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per lb.

So......the info I'm getting is all over the place!!

I can adjust cooker temp when roast hits 100d internal, but I just don't want to be WAY off.

Well.......?
Brethren?

It depends on the temp of the cooker, this is why the temps are all over the place. There is no standard cooker temp. Just meat temps. Does this make farking sense?:biggrin:

Last edited:
Are you "set" on cooking at those temps? Id try to cook it at 300-325 or so 30 mins/lb

It depends on the temp of the cooker, this is why the temps are all over the place. There is no standard cooker temp. Just meat temps. Does this make farking sense?:biggrin:

Errrr.....no. Not really:eek:

The recipes that I mentioned all deal with a cooker temp of about 225-250. I've discarded (in my mind) any recipes that call for a higher temp.

I'm just saying that so far about 4-6 different sources suggest cooking a rib roast in a 225-250 cooker, using a rule of thumb of anywhere from 1/4h per pound to 1 1/2hr per pound......WTF?

I understand that cooker temps make all the difference in this equation.

Didn't you say that when you cooked those 2 rib roasts (in your avatar) that you did it at a low temp (225)? Did I remember that right?

Thanks for the quick reply, BBS.

Are you "set" on cooking at those temps? Id try to cook it at 300-325 or so 30 mins/lb

Did mine last year at 325. Turned out great, but the perimeter was more done than the center of the roast. After the reading I've done on it, I'm doing it at 225-250.

In short......yes....I'm set on that temp.

225-250 is a good range to cook. What kind of meat thermometer are you using? Do you have a digital probe like a Maverick?

After reading the previous post on the forum, think I may try the lower end temp about 250 or so cooking on the kettle till 120 internal. Then do a reverse sear for the last 6-8 minutes or so. All this talk about prime rib is making me hungry

225-250 is a good range to cook. What kind of meat thermometer are you using? Do you have a digital probe like a Maverick?

I have a Weber digital remote thermo, yes.

I'm not really worried about OVERcooking it. I'll pull and hold it (or drop the cooker temp WAY down if necessary if it's early). I'm most worried about planning on a 5 hour cook, putting the roast on at 11 (we're planning on eating at 5) and it being at 80d internal at 5.

Errrr.....no. Not really:eek:

The recipes that I mentioned all deal with a cooker temp of about 225-250. I've discarded (in my mind) any recipes that call for a higher temp.

I'm just saying that so far about 4-6 different sources suggest cooking a rib roast in a 225-250 cooker, using a rule of thumb of anywhere from 1/4h per pound to 1 1/2hr per pound......WTF?

I understand that cooker temps make all the difference in this equation.

Didn't you say that when you cooked those 2 rib roasts (in your avatar) that you did it at a low temp (225)? Did I remember that right?

Thanks for the quick reply, BBS.

250* Are you doing bone in or out? I split big roast like yours in two.

250* Are you doing bone in or out? I split big roast like yours in two.

Bone-in.

Do you think that cutting the roast into 2 - 7 lb roasts will do much? (Don't get me wrong....I trust your experience) It's just that by doing that I wouldn't really be reducing the girth of the roast, but only the length. I'd think that would only affect the cook time a very little bit.....am I wrong on that?

Plus.....this particular roast isn't all that big around. I actually have another 14 lb'er that I'm doing on Friday and that one is quite a bit bigger around than the one I'm cooking tomorrow, but shorter. In other words, tomorrow's roast is about 18" long and, say, 6" diameter......while Friday's roast is about 12" long, and about 8" dia.

Thing about cutting it in half you get more end cuts for those that like it done more.

Well shoot you're just trying to make sure it's done at the right time, gotcha. In that case if you're able to hold the meat for any amount of time after being done then definitely over compensate for time. Better to be done early than late.

There is no time, there is no temp. It's done when it's done. Stop being OCD and get your smoke on and post some pics or I will be all up in your grill! :p

OK.....so I'm freakin out a little bit.....

I thought I had this ALLLLLLLLL figured out and now I'm getting worried!

I have a 14 lb rib roast (bone-in).
I'm gonna cook it at 225-250 in the SSDS.

I have a recipe that tells me that a rib roast will take 1/2 hr per lb.
Thirdeye posted a couple of times and said a 14 lb'er would take about 4.5 hrs and also that a 5 lb roast took him about 2.5 hrs.
I just googled a bunch of roast recipes and Robert Irvine (Food Network) says 1 to 1 1/2 hrs per lb.

So......the info I'm getting is all over the place!!

I can adjust cooker temp when roast hits 100d internal, but I just don't want to be WAY off.

Well.......?
Brethren?

Did 2 7lb boneless rib roasts yesterday. In the Spicewine @ 250 degrees, took 3 hours to 136 degrees. Cut that roast in half to get 2 manageable pieces.

Bone-in.

Do you think that cutting the roast into 2 - 7 lb roasts will do much? (Don't get me wrong....I trust your experience) It's just that by doing that I wouldn't really be reducing the girth of the roast, but only the length. I'd think that would only affect the cook time a very little bit.....am I wrong on that?

Plus.....this particular roast isn't all that big around. I actually have another 14 lb'er that I'm doing on Friday and that one is quite a bit bigger around than the one I'm cooking tomorrow, but shorter. In other words, tomorrow's roast is about 18" long and, say, 6" diameter......while Friday's roast is about 12" long, and about 8" dia.

A little less time and like others have said it gives you options. Stop sweating it, bro it will be just fine. If you fall behind just bump up the temps. The key to becoming a better/great cook is knowing how to improvise when plan A goes afoot.

There is no time, there is no temp. It's done when it's done. Stop being OCD and get your smoke on and post some pics or I will be all up in your grill! :p

Yeah, yeah, yeah......I wondered who would jump in there with the "It's done when it's done" thing. I GET THAT....believe me! I'm trying to plan dinner on Christmas Eve here! Schedules matter! This ain't just "come on over for dinner on Saturday!":biggrin:

Oh, and I'll be posting pron for sure. I took photos a plenty of Thanksgiving, but never posted....not going to do that again!

Stop sweating it, bro it will be just fine.

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm a good cook. I'm just striving for PERFECTON.....:wink:

I have been planning on about a 7-8 hour cook, until I googled. Then I freaked!

I feel better now.......of course, I've had a couple of bloody mary's since I posted this thread!!! HA HA HA!!:mrgreen::mrgreen::twisted:

Yeah, yeah, yeah......I wondered who would jump in there with the "It's done when it's done" thing. I GET THAT....believe me! I'm trying to plan dinner on Christmas Eve here! Schedules matter! This ain't just "come on over for dinner on Saturday!":biggrin:

Oh, and I'll be posting pron for sure. I took photos a plenty of Thanksgiving, but never posted....not going to do that again!

I'm sure it'll be fine. I'm a good cook. I'm just striving for PERFECTON.....:wink:

I here ya, it's just how we Brethren roll :cool:

Back