Maverick ET-73 at Comps

HBMTN

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Last season I tried to use one of the cheap wireless meat probes at a competition and it was one that updates about every 5 seconds. It seemed that several other teams were using the same cheap unit as every 5 seconds it updated the temp it was very different ( ie 200, 250, 210, 240) like other teams units were operating on the same radio frequency. Never had a problem before or since with the unit except at the competition. I was thinking about buying a Maverick ET-73 and wonder if anyone who uses them has ever experienced this type of problem with it at a competition?

My ET-73 never has done that here at home. I don't think it knows if it is at a comp or not. :biggrin:

Ok Jim how about if 15 other people decided to cooking in your back yard and use their Maverick at the same time as you, would your temp readings go :twisted:

Hummm, now that is a good point that I hadn't considered and I now see the basis of your question.

The range of the ET-73 isn't all that much, but would very probably pick up signals of adjacent units.

I have been using my for about 2 years at competitions, but have never seen it effect mine, but I have never really paid attention to what the teams next to me are using!

I believe the Maverick's use varible signals and the remote reads the signal given off by the transmitter it first recognizes when it's turned on.

So as long as the units are not turned on at the same time it shouldn't be a problem. At least we've never had a problem at comps using them. We have 2 and have cooked multiple times between other teams using Mavericks without problem.

I believe the Maverick's use varible signals and the remote reads the signal given off by the transmitter it first recognizes when it's turned on.

So as long as the units are not turned on at the same time it shouldn't be a problem. At least we've never had a problem at comps using them. We have 2 and have cooked multiple times between other teams using Mavericks without problem.

From what I read on the instruction sheet, some time back, that is correct. It has to "sync" in like 10 seconds or something like that, or you have to start over again.

I use two all the time and have not had any problems here at home or at a comp....

The only thing I don't like about them is the small wires. I wrap a double layer of hd foil around mine where the lid closed on them for more protection, and so far, so good. I have had the original one now for 3 yrs. and the 2nd one for 2 yrs. Looking at adding another.

Back