• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

smoked salmon

S

strange Brew

Need advise on temp and time for smoked salmon.Pluss possible wood that gives the best flavor.

Hey strange.
do you want to do hot-smoked salmon or a cold smoke like gets sliced thin and served as appetizers or with bagles{lox}?

If you would prefer to stay here with the Brethren,
Here is the recipie from our own recipie section:
-----------------
BBQ Smoked Salmon
Recipe Number: 199
Contributor: BBQchef33
Rating: Recipe Unrated
Rate This Recipe
Review This Recipe Serves: Recipe for about 4 pounds of s
Calories Per Serving: NA
Preparation Time: NA
Difficulty:
Print Friendly Version
Recipe is Unreviewed
Ingredients:
2 C water
3 C Apple juice
1 C brown sugar
1/2 C honey
2 T soy sauce
3/4 C Kosher Salt (you could cut back on this to ½ C if desired 3 Bay leaves
SALMON!!!
Cooking Instructions:Mix all above, completely dissolving the salt and sugar. I sometimes warm the solution to dissolve everything, then cool it in the refrigerator. Your filets/steaks/pieces in the photo above appear to be correct size. I usually use filets cut in 2.5-3” strips from the back (top of filet) to the belly (bottom of filet), rendering anywhere from 7-10 strips per filet. Submerge your filets in the brine for 5-6 hours. After brining rinse each piece thoroughly in cold water, then towel (paper) dry. On a large platter, baking dish, etc. sprinkle brown sugar all over the bottom (this sugar is in addition to what was in the brine). Lay your salmon pieces on the brown sugar, and sprinkle another layer on top. Get your pit going to 150-180 (higher is okay but not more than 225). I just like the cooler temps and someday will cold smoke at 90-110. Any good smoking wood is fine – I used cherry and hickory on Monday. Anyway, place your pieces on a rack and let her go for about an hour. At that point, turn them over. They should not stick at all, but depending on size, might break in half (that’s OK – give those pieces to less-loved-ones). Turning them over gives that beautiful grill marking on both sides of the pieces. Let them go another 45-60 minutes (this is all depending on pit temp). The finished pieces will have an orange glisten, be sweet and smoky, while still having great salmon flavor. Serving Suggestions:Unfortunately, I don’t have an internal temperature for you to gauge against, but because of the oil content in Salmon, you should be fine. Maybe some others could chime in on internal temperature (I’m thinking about 140 but wouldn’t sweat it).

-------------------

Stop into "Cattle Call" here and introduce yourself.

TIM

neighbor

Hey Strange brew you should ask your neighbor, that guy is a Genius!!!

This thread has a link to Jim Minion's Cardogs Salmon, which I have recommended often, you will find the link in post # 2

There is another salmon recipe in post # 3 that I like too. :roll:

http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16805&highlight=salmon

I like to start with alder and finish whth cherry for color. Some pic's are in the post referenced above.

Back