How many ball valves do you guys have in the bottom? It looks like Norecoredneck's post he has 3. I getting ready to finish mine up. This is where I'm stuck.

I was going to go with ball valves but laziness and not having a welder got in my way. I drilled a single 1-3/8" hole and use magnets to regulate the temp, works great.

Note to this: if with one valve and one cap open you don't get temp ... check the following
  1. if you have 100 lbs of butts and brisket - your meat load is HIGH - it will take more fire to heat a large load to temp - or longer time to cook at lower temp
  2. Lid or exhaust openings - 8 ea 1/2 holes in a flat lid is the minimum - none caped or closed - bigger exhausts up to 1 in should only be attempted with great caution - so if you have less than 8 1/2 holes get them, if you have them check the other items listed
  3. moist fuel - charcoal absorbs water vapor and this will give you temp problems, keep it dry and in sealed containers
  4. patience - the UDS is controlled by the air intake - any changes to the air intake my take up to 30 or more to settle - wildly changing the intake and opening the lid every 5 minutes will only get you erratic results - have a drink take a chill pill and have faith
  5. spend some quality time with your UDS when its new to get a feel for how its going to run for you - then you can set it and forget it - really
Nice beginner guide HLS!

I can't find a food grade barrel, but can get a couple free barrels from a local garage that had new motor oil in them - If I clean and burn them out, would they be safe to use? I think I read somewhere in this thread that metal doesn't absorb liquids

Yeah; a good scrub with hot soapy water followed by a good burn should do the job.

I was wondering if anyone has mods for their UDS to grill with it too.

I'm looking at making one but I'm interested in grilling with it too. is that possible?

I'm looking at making one but I'm interested in grilling with it too. is that possible?

You could add a set of bolts/grate supports at correct height and place coals on that and grill on upper rack. I have a project in the works :twisted: that is going to be the all around Redneck Backyard Cooker. Stand By!

You could add a set of bolts/grate supports at correct height and place coals on that and grill on upper rack. I have a project in the works :twisted: that is going to be the all around Redneck Backyard Cooker. Stand By!

I actually made a modified basket out of expanded metal with two inch angle iron. The point of the angle welded to the bottom of the basket. I was going to weld two small sections of angle iron to the sides of the basket and then use rebar across them to set the basket on top of.

So four 1.5" pieces of angle welded to the side in a v. rebar across the barrel, sitting in the v and then the basket on top, sitting on the rebar.

When you aren't grilling you can just set the basket on the bottom of the barrel, though it may not be enough clearance.....

you're welcome///

I googled "steel drum scranton" after seeing NE PA in your profile.
A new open top 23"x36" drumm will cost $40-50ish. Well worth it to not worry about chemicals PLUS all the labor saved in cleaning, burn out, paint, etc....

Look for reconditioned drums if you can. They should be cheaper and are just as clean minus a final washing to rinse them out.

OK 3 days after finding this thread, I read it all. Got a drum in the backyard soon to be a UDS.
I may attempt to add a means of supporting the basket at grilling height like Chinesebob and Norco just mentioned.
Thanks guys for the great read.

Yup: I have a short "inner barrel" for a fire basket that I elevate just below the top grate. Here's pic's:

Last edited:
no pictures but I hang my charcoal basket on my grill using three S shaped pieces of clothes hanger wire. This works good for burgers and sausages before I drop the basket down and load up the drum with a long and slow cook. Using the UDS as a grill is hard on the exterior paint !!!

This may be in the thread somewhere, but the 22" cheapo replacement grills at Academy are too small. Need to use the true Weber replacements or put in several more supports.

Second that...I learned it the hard way. And even the additional supports don't fully solve the problem. I had to go out and buy the Webers after a couple of cooks.

Thanks Nocordredneck. You wouldn't believe how hard I tried to figure out the lid deal! LOl. The pan is a solid aluminum pan and not galvanized. I hope no one ever tries to 'que in galanized anything. (Leaded Brisket is not good for you!) I'll be stealing my sister in-laws camera and get a pic of the lid on the forum. It is a great substitute lid for those who can't find an "Open head drum" or want to fork out for the weber lids.
As far as intake valves go I've just been running two 1" draft holes with electrical plates for draft covers. While it works fine you really have to watch the temps closely. I'll be installing a ball valve this weekend.

Ok here is my current idea.
I got one of these:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=100575652&N=10000003+503171+10023001
The handle can be removed fairly easily. Once removed it leaves the attachment point that provides one point for the basket to rest on. I add 2 bolts through the side holes at 1/3 points around the perimeter. Now it sits on what was my charcoal pan for my ECB. I now have an ash pan with elevated (slightly) basket for charcoal. It probably needs a ring to contain coals if piled up more than 2-3 inches. The ash can fall through the holes in the bottom to the old ECB ashpan.
Am I crazy?
The picture is just the picture from the borg's site if you don't want to deal with the link.

Attachments

• grill-basket.jpg
    grill-basket.jpg
    8 KB · Views: 1,604
Are you crazy? No
will it work? I don't think so.
Won't hold enough charcoal without sides and will probably melt the pan.
Best way is a charcoal basket, keep reading........

Are you crazy? No
Hey Bubba what post number exactly?:twisted:

Are you crazy? No

Bbq Bubba,
You may be right. But be'in the hard headed one that I am, I am going to try it anyway. It may melt the pan, but it is high grade chinese stainless, How could that possibly melt? :)
Adding sides (if there is a bottom left) should solve the enough charcoal part.

Back