Catering for about 30 people

trucky9754

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was contacted today and asked to cook for a birthday party for approx. 30 people. I just talked to the guy for a few minutes about what he wants so I don't have all the details but so far here is what he wants.
He wants me to cook for approx. 30 people and wants pulled pork, baked beans and some type of potato. He wants me to supply all the items needed for the food portion. This would include the meat, buns, beans and potatoes, ( cheesy potatoes or potato salad, haven't decided). I need to know what you guys think would be the best way to charge for this event. Should I charge per plate or for each individual items cooked? If I charge for the plate, what do you think would be a fair charge? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trucky9754

cooking on
Fast Eddy FEC100
C/S sm009
Weber Gasser
2 X Ultra-accurate Thermopen RED of course.
Official MOINKER since 2010
KCBS Member
7 X 14 Competition Trailer

I used to do OK with the smaller groups like 25-50 folks. Especially when it was "simple" like your gig. Some of the small gigs lead to 150-400 folks the next time.

Pricing depends on your market. You should be able to make some money charging between $8.50 and $10.00 per person. I priced a job out recently for $10.00 per and that included drinks and paper products...but that was for Kiwanis and I would work out of the church kitchen.

I would think $10 a person as a minimum. You have to remember that they are also paying for the time that this will take along with the headache they wont have about preparing food for 30 which is priceless to alot of people. Good luck

$500 minimum order should apply as a drop off. Let the customer make the choices on sides.

1 Meat, 2 Sides I charge $12.00 a head. With this being a small party I would charge $10.00 per lb on the pulled pork, tray of beans $20.00, potato salad $20.00 and roll $5.00 per dozen.

Back