MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:27 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How do you get cookers to a new cook off?

We are starting a new cook off next month and want to know how you get cookers to come to a new contest? We are in the Bullsheet and we are going to be a State Championship cook off but we are still short of the required 15 contestants needed. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 08:34 AM   #2
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Man I wish I could cook this contest. I have another commitment that weekend. For the money and what you guys are offering it looks like a great contest. How many do you have signed up?
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 08:44 AM   #3
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

We only have 9 cookers signed up at this time. I have been told that the entrys come in at the last minute but since we have been working on this contest for 6 months and only have 9 committed, we are starting to get a little antsie......

Old 06-03-2009, 08:55 AM   #4
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

We'll be driving right by you on our way to Tulsa that weekend.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #5
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyboomerboy View Post
We only have 9 cookers signed up at this time. I have been told that the entrys come in at the last minute but since we have been working on this contest for 6 months and only have 9 committed, we are starting to get a little antsie......
I understand what you you mean. Your post you made here will get people's attention. Is'nt your entry fee only $100 and you get free water and electricy and showers. I think you guys will get the numbers your are looking for. Its still over a month out.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #6
musicmanryann
is One Chatty Farker

Contact all the surrounding states' bbq associations if they have them. Many have e-mail lists they can use to let their membership know you are still looking for teams. I get e-mails just like this all the time from the Iowa BBQ Society.

Post on the forums too. Let people know why this contest is superior to the contest they are planning on attending that weekend. I think a lot of cookers are attracted to a good ratio of entry fees/payout. Also--post who the current field of competitors. Some people might be attracted to a comp if they no a certain team is/not going to be there.

Good luck! I think most of it is that cookers wait til' the last minute. It is sometimes hard to write that entry fee check prior to a few weeks out, especially if there is a chance something might come up and they can't make it. Most of the time they are then out the money.
CBJ #50801
6 WSM's
2 Weber Kettles
FEC100
2 Backwoods Fatboy
2 Not-so-Ugly Drum Smokers from Gateway BBQ Store
[URL="http://s674.photobucket.com/albums/vv102/Ryannewstrom/Jambo%20--%20The%20Orange%20Monster/"]Jambo -- The Orange Monster[/URL]
[URL="http://www.bigtzbbq.com/#!__main/links"]www.bigtzbbq.com[/URL]
Join our [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=logo#/group.php?gid=101606657515&ref=ts"]facebook group[/URL]
musicmanryann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 09:04 AM   #7
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

BTW how did you get that aerial picture of Yates Center. Thats a cool looking picture.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:09 AM   #8
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

did u put a contest announcement in here and othe BBQ forums to asist in getting the word out?

on eidt.. Nevermind.. Found it here and gave it a bump.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=55888

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 09:12 AM   #9
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Pulin' Pork View Post
BTW how did you get that aerial picture of Yates Center. Thats a cool looking picture.
We are (lucky) that we live is such a small town that we can get the whole town in one picture...LOL

Old 06-03-2009, 09:23 AM   #10
stlgreg
Take a breath!

You will be suprised how many teams will sign up in the last two weeks. I had 11 teams sign up in the 10 days before the contest. Doesnt help much with the planning but the teams just dont wnat to give up their money.

We all get worried about a month out that we wont have the teams but then we usually end up getting them. All i can pass along to you is what a well respected organzier told me...relax they will come.
KCBS Certified Judge #21812
FEC100
1 UDS Smoker
1 Char Griller w/o side fire box
Hog's Wart School BBQ Team
http://www.bbqsaucereport.com (43 sauces and counting!)
stlgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 09:54 AM   #11
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Speaking from the team side...

While we may plan our schedule out in spring to cover May through October, we also have families (I have a daughter in college, one of our team has 2 sons (14 & 16) and two grand daughters, and yet another has 2 sons younger than 7) and things do crop up...

While I understand that you as the comp organizer would like to know (and have entry fee's paid) as early as possible, we as competitors would have a tough time getting the money back if we had to drop out.

It is our practice to send in our application and check 3 to 4 weeks ahead of the date. I know some teams that cut it even closer (1 to 2 weeks)...

Please understand, I'm not trying to give excuses, I'm just trying to show you our side...

Thanks for listening, I'll go to my room now....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2009, 02:37 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We are not willing (nor able) to pay more that a couple of events ahead.
Right now, we have one in June and one in July--both paid.
Slow period down here with the heat.
I have been ahead as many as 4 when the pace is more frantic.

45-60 days early is about our limit.

However, we do email or phone and let the organizer know our intentions (subject to change of course).
I think that is a basic courtesy.

Good Luck.

TIM

Old 06-04-2009, 10:21 AM   #13
heinz57
Knows what a fatty is.

" How do you get cookers to a new cook off? "

I pull mine with my Chevy. Occasionally, I'll have Darrick pull it with his Ford. I have seen some teams using a Dodge, and once I saw a team using a Toyota to pull their cooker.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

I am surprised by the cheap entry and great things you are offering that you are not filling up faster. I wish I wasn't so far away, Could you come and do this in NY?

WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE AT THIS YEARS COOKOFF?

Cook sites 20x30. Larger sites are available.

Free Showers available for the cookers in the dressing room at the pool across the street from the stadium

Free coffee, donuts, and Ice cream on Friday night for the cookers.

A free case of bottled water for each team

Free electric and water

Free Ice

Charter member status for the 1st year entries

Money, Trophy, and Banner for Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champions

Custom made iron BBQ tools for the Grand Champion and Reserve Grand Champion

Money and trophies for the first 5 places in each meat category

Ribbons for sixth through tenth place

Money Awards
Grand Champion $1000.00
Reserve Grand Champion $500.00
First in each meat category $150.00
Second in each meat category $125.00
Third in each meat category $100.00
Fourth in each meat category $75.00
Fifth in each meat category $50.00
Notice to all Teams entering the
First Annual Hay Capital BBQ Cook Off
and Bike Show
By entering the First Annual Hay Capital Barbeque Cook Off and Bike Show you are automatically a Charter Member of this contest. As such you will receive special benefits at each annual cook off after the first event. You will receive a discount on your entry fee. You will receive priority for selecting a cooking site. You will receive a special goodie bag and you will receive discount coupons at area merchants.
This applies only to those Teams that enter the First Hay Capital BBQ Cook Off and Bike Show
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 AM   #15
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

Looks like a great comp. Are you conflicting dates with another comp that has been running for a while??

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote