MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:53 PM   #1
sweetheatbbq
On the road to being a farker

Default Smoker for Inside

I have some friends that are looking to put a smoker inside a restaurant they are buying. They are wanting to put it under the existing exhaust hood. Does anyone have any recommendations on smokers or if this is not a good idea? I know from reading other post ole hickory seems to be the way to go for a commercial smoker but I wasn't sure if anyone has some different thoughts. Thanks

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-05-2014, 04:16 PM   #2
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

How much are they going to be cooking on the smoker? How much room do they have in the kitchen? What are the building and health codes in the area? I would answer these questions and you will come up with just a few choices.

These guys are in MO. And they my be able to get a custom fit smoker for your friends.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Insulated-St...item4617826199

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

You need to talk to the local health department and code enforcement people and possibly the fire Marshall. I don't think a smoker indoors under a exhaust is a good idea and would never fly where I live. It would definitely have to be direct vented unless it's designed for that specific application.
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

my area buildinig inspector looked for the UL tag and he also inspected the electrical conections and gas line..

Old 01-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #5
SigSauerNY

In your area you can find plenty of solid used units for sale within a couple hours.

Ole Hickory Pits is solid, there are many, but first find out goals and go from there.

Where in St Louis?
SigSauerNY is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-06-2014, 05:21 PM   #6
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Ive heard good stuff about Bewley. You want to check with the health department and fire marshal. You will save yourself a lot of time and headaches.

Big Pappa UDS
Lang 48 Deluxe
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 07:54 AM   #7
jeffry1970
Full Fledged Farker

You may want to check with your insurance carrier as well. As said before, like a furnace it would need a ul label here in bucks county, could be different elsewhere.
jeffry1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2014, 03:40 PM   #8
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Under the hood may not work. If you smoke overnite you have to leave the hood running all night.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
StickyD
Got Wood.

I run this small water smoker under the hood, the draw is usually fine. But occasionally it's not and the smell of smoke drifts into the bar, which I think is a good thing, makes guests feel like they're camping, then they drink more! But we only run this a few times a week. I am planning on installing a permanent cabinet smoker and feel it will be best to direct vent it after my experiences with the water smoker.

I visited the Culinary Institute of American in CA a few years back, their teaching kitchen runs about a half dozen Bradleys, all sitting on the counter under a hood, no direct vent or even ducting to the hood. But those were some big ass hoods...

Old 01-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #10
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyD View Post
I visited the Culinary Institute of American in CA a few years back, their teaching kitchen runs about a half dozen Bradleys, all sitting on the counter under a hood, no direct vent or even ducting to the hood. But those were some big ass hoods...
Sad to hear their teaching with Bradleys.

Their also not cooking overnite.
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 12:41 PM   #11
LongTong
is one Smokin' Farker

Alto Schaam makes one with no exhaust needed. I believe it has a catalytic converter so you only need a drain...

Old 01-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #12
landarc

There are many options, but, both the building department and fire department need to be contacted, as they will both have jurisdiction over any cooker that burns wood. You also want to consider the difference between gas and electric. There are some excellent electric units at the commercial level, that might be better than an Old Hickory.

If you are in an urban, or multi-story building you will also want to consider the effects and costs of ventilation, relative to smell and smoke nuisance. Just some factors. I agree with Bubba, that having a discreet ventilation for the smoker itself will be cheaper in the long run, as you are not running the hood all night.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2014, 06:39 PM   #13
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

And make sure it fits thru the existing doorways...

Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 AM   #14
OL' Timer

I used my CookShack SM150 Smoker, under a hood for years . Won't cook as much as my Lang 84 but that stays outside for large cooks.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:43 PM   #15
Bootheel
Found some matches.

Hi, I like Ole Hickory down in Cape Girardeau, MO which is about 1.5 hours drive down I-55 from St. Louis. They have many choices and the expertise to help out. I can't stress enough that they need to contact the health department but even more important is zoning. They are the ones who will give ultimate approval. Just b/c they are buying an existing restaurant doesn't mean they are zoned to be able to blow smoke. Smoking up a residential area can be a huge issue! I doubt the insurance carrier will care as long as the smoker is UL approved and installed properly.

Hope this helps.
Bootheel is offline   Reply With Quote