Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Be sure to get in touch with Pat Moody of WSJM and MailMax. He does a great job of provididng publicity for start up businesses in the area. I'll be bringing some friends down from St. Joseph soon.

Be sure to get in touch with Pat Moody of WSJM and MailMax. He does a great job of provididng publicity for start up businesses in the area. I'll be bringing some friends down from St. Joseph soon.

Great idea. I don't listen to Pat personally, but I didn't even think of using him as an outlet to get the word out. Thanks!

new bbq joint

good luck i`ve had a lot of folks tell me YOU SHOULD OPEN A BBQ PLACE your one brave man to risk your time and money and take a hobby an turn it into a job THE BEST OF LUCK TO YOU :thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

WOW! 30 customers just from a FB post!

Hopefully the local media will give you some air time.

Good Luck!

Customers implies they paid. These were just people that wanted free ribs.

MB, you will find that with the convection it will speed things up considerably, just like in a regular convection oven.

Great to see things are getting closer.

Dang man, can't wait for the opening!

Now that's some pr0n to see first thing in the morning :becky:

The hiring process is absolutely brutal. I've had to hire people before in my other business, but it was specialized and only a certain subset of people applied. For these positions it blows my mind to see the walks of life that are begging for a job. Longest and most taxing day in this venture so far and I've got to do it for the rest of the week.

Otherwise, finally chose a food supplier, and the health inspector is coming in the morning to do a pre-inspection to hopefully catch any issues before the final inspection and give me an open date so I can begin getting the word out.

But another setback with the contractor. Still need the exhaust fan hooked up and after a week of "looking into it" he said he can't do it because he isn't licensed for HVAC work. WTF? You knew this was part of the project from day one. So now he's pawned me off to someone else who he says can do it. At what cost, I still do not know. Pain in the ass.

I need a drink. And like two straight days of sleep.

When you open your second store in the south, I will work for food haha.

I feel your pain in the hiring process, had the same thing in the asphalt trade.
Everybody could do it till it came time to do it. Nothing like what your going through though.

Hang in there brother, it's all coming together.
Sorry bout the GC screwin up the process so close to the end

I don't want to jinx myself, but it looks like we could open as soon as next Friday. Health inspector came this morning to collect some paperwork and to do a walkthrough. He was thrilled at how the remodel turned out and how clean everything was and said it was one of the cleanest places he sees in the area. It went so well in fact that he decided to waive all the plan review fees and everything. I guess being anal and OCD about everything paid off. :mrgreen:

So, he said all I have to do is give him a call next week when all systems are up and running and he'll come out first thing and get the final inspection done. Amazing, because I was expecting nothing but headaches.

There are still two last snags that hopefully will be done by Friday, but could still potentially cause a delay. First, the contractor is still an idiot. He never did show up today to drop off my exhaust fan and install the kitchen door. But that may not matter. The health inspector said the smoker may still be fine even without the exhaust. So, I'm just waiting on the mechanical inspector to come out and say yes or no. If yes, screw the contractor and I'll start out without the fan and get somebody else who is more competent to install it later.

Then I just need an electrician to come and wire up the steam table and add a 20 amp outlet for the CVAP. They said it should be by the end of the week, but possibly Monday.

So that's it. Once those two items are taken care of, I'm only a phone call away from getting the license and opening for business. Of course the mechanical inspector could pitch a fit about the exhaust and snag things for another week or so, but it's the home stretch. It's almost surreal.

Doing a little private gathering tomorrow so I'm excited to get up early and smoke a handful of butts, ribs, a turkey, and some sausage.

I know many of you in the area have asked, either in here or via PM about letting you know when I do finally open, so I'll update you when I know for certain. I'm planning on doing a soft open next weekend provided things stay on track, so an official grand opening should be the following week or so.

How did hiring go? Got some good folks lined up?

Eh, it is what it is. A constant stream of convicted felons and people who have absolutely no restaurant experience, and those who refuse to work weekends. I've got one cashier that I'm going to hire for sure. She's awesome. An older lady who has lived here for decades, knows everybody in town, is active with the chamber of commerce, and volunteers regularly at one of the food pantries in town. She also has an extensive catering background when she used to work at the hospitality department of Notre Dame. I think she's going to be my rock star, but I still need to find a second cashier since I can't work this lady 60 hours a week.

And then I have two promising interviews with cooks tomorrow. One was previously a line cook at Ruth's Chris and spent two years at another BBQ place, and the other spent five years at one of the local resorts as sous chef. As long as they actually show up I have a feeling at least one of them will be a good fit.

Push comes to shove, I'll move forward with just one cashier and one cook to get the doors open. My wife is off work for the next three weeks so she said she will pitch in up front if need be, and my father in-law said he would help out in the kitchen if I need.

I don't care what it takes, I'm not going to let this venture get delayed any longer. I've gone 11 months without a paycheck now and it's starting to take its toll. :redface:

Well, best of luck to ya! Hope the cook interviews go well and treat that ol' cashier good....she should like a winner and a good way to bring in business since she knows everyone!

Hang in there, it's gonna happen, You'll make it happen, just reading what you've been trough tells me that.

the headaches actually come when you are hiring, the rest was cake.

Back