Prime Rib

coastal

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So I am making a 4 bone prime rib for thanksgiving

My Micheal Symon book I am working off of tells me to have the bones and excess fat removed and reserved

Than basically put the fat and bones in the roasting pan for 30 minutes to render..than add the prime rib and use the bones as a roasting rack..

Do you agree with this method?

and how do i order this from the butcher? Just- 1- 4 bone prime rib with excess fat and bones removed and reserved?

Any tips appreciated.. first prime rib here ( i know i know never try something out the first time with a crowd on a holiday but this is to expensive to practice with for me)

There are many different opinions I am sure.

Personally I leave the bones intact, I like to chew on the bone myself.

There are many different opinions I am sure.

Personally I leave the bones intact, I like to chew on the bone myself.

So you suggest just ordering a 4 bone prime rib..no trimming? I am fine either way, havnt decided yet- thats why I came to the brethren for help

Closer to the bone the sweeter the meat.I have respect for Symon and his Greek back round but there must be a reason for his recipe.Could it be for a quicker cook time?I dont have his book.

Closer to the bone the sweeter the meat.I have respect for Symon and his Greek back round but there must be a reason for his recipe.Could it be for a quicker cook time?I dont have his book.

I dont think its cook time, whatever time is saved is lost by cooking the bones and fat trimmings 30 minutes before adding the meat. Maybe just ease of slicing in the end for a at home chef? I dont know

But in his method you use the bones bowed side up as a roasting rack for the prime rib

I bought a rib roast one year from a place that cut the bones off and tied them back on with butcher twine. I cut the twine to get the seasoning in between the meat and the bones and retied it. It came out good, but I like cooking the roast with the bones intact better. I think the bones add flavor the the meat.

I'm by no means an expert on rib roasts, but when I've done them, they have been bone-in, nothing tied up or anything. More or less it was just the primal with the ribs. The results are fantastic.

The Brethren have me leaning towards bone in. + I could always de-bone if I change my mind i suppose

Maybe just a way of making it his recipe, his technique?

Yes that is pretty much how the book describes it. It would make for easily slicing around a hungry family if it was already deboned

Just remove the bones after cooking but just before slicing. I cooked a standing rib roast this past Sunday and the bones literally fell from the roast, all 3 still connected, from the rest of the roast, no cutting required.

I would leave it bone in and "french" the bones. This basically trimming the fat between the bones, It makes for a very appealing rib roast

I've been doing a prime rib every year for many years now. I've always left the bones on. One year, the butcher I bought from trimmed the bones off and tied them back on, which was fine, but I didn't see any real advantage to it. IMO you may as well just leave the roast intact and make the cut across the bones before carving. Chewing prime rib bones is one of life's great pleasures!

Good luck with yer roast and let us know how it goes! :hungry:

I usually cut the bones off and tie them back on. You can then season under the bones before you tie them back on and still cook the rib roast bone on. This way you can cut the twine, and pull the bones off prior to serving to make carving easier at the table.

I cut almost all the way thru between bone & meat, leaving attached, and use a EVOO/Garlic/salt/herb rub that I put all over, and especially down in between the bones & meat (yummy bone gnawing) This also makes it easier to get ready to carve

Like a few others have suggested, I have always "cradled" my roasts. Cut away the rib bones as a full rack, then tie them to the roast with butchers twine. It makes it real easy to carve at the table this way, just remove the bones and you can easily cut to any desired thickness. If someone would like a bone you can serve those as well.

Back