Help With Knife Knowledge

93vpmod

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I am interested in soliciting ideas and knowledge about cooking knives for BBQ. I currently have a typical Henckels set and am finding it to be inadequate for brisket and other smoking use. Sharpening is another full topic I am sure.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

for slicing brisket,or bacon, or salmon for that matter. i find a nice long SHARP granton edge slicer to be the best thing out there you want to slice it, meening drag the knife in one direction as much as possible, do not saw at it moving back and fourth.

as far as sharpening, get a nice angle controlled sharpening system for most of you knives, but for something as long as a slicer some sort of electric or professional sharpening service would be king

There are some very informative threads if you do a search.
I favour a Japanese stone for sharpening, faster and an easy skill to perfect, and cheaper too.
My slicer is a 300+ mmitre gyuto by Fujihara.

Japanese made knives are superior for slicing because they generally are thinner and have a sharper point edge.

It would help if we knew what you currently have. Basically, what I would want, would be a stiff 6-7" boning knife, 6-7" flexible boning knife, 8-10 chef's knife and a 10-12" granton slicer.

Here is a nice Slicer that will not break the bank.
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-12-Inch-Granton-Slicing-Fibrox/dp/B0000CFDB9/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&qid=1364525914&sr=8-19&keywords=victorinox+knife"]Amazon.com: Victorinox 12-Inch Granton Edge Slicing Knife with Fibrox Handle: Kitchen & Dining[/ame]

Wow, you have opened a can of worms. Both professional and back yard enthusiasts alike have one thing in common....STEEL. I have a variation of quality knives and find that what works for me, doesn't work for you. Henckels make a whole line of different products. They should be sharpened by a professional first. Keeping them in tune afterwards is easy. But once they loose that hollow ground edge, your lost. There is so much to learn about this topic you would not want to read it all. Buy the best steel that fits your budget, that's my advice and I am stickin to it!
Jed

Thanks to all for the comments. The first stop will be a professional sharpener followed by the topic search below!

We are big fans of the Victorinox line by Forschner and the slicer listed above does a fabulous job. Excellent products and they hold an edge very well especially if you are diligent with the honing steel.

Do yourself a favor and buy a couple of good cheaper knives, and learn to sharpen them. You can either give them to a bumbling brother-in-law, (I did)
Or keep them in your kitchen.
I found I prefer to buy my knives one at a time. Buy good ones after you know how to sharpen them.
(Don't let others use them)
I'm selfish that way.
My father was an ole time butcher, so I inherited many knives and cleavers.
I'm picky about who I let use them.

Last edited:
Tho expensive I'm a huge fan of wusthof then again if you don't or don't know how to sharpen you could have he best knife out there and if the blade is dull you would have better luck going outside and trying to cut with a stone lol wusthof is a great knife tho my favorite a lot of professional chefs use these knives

^^^ Will I need a license for that? It looks like an awesome cutting instrument!

I have one of the MABA knives that Ronelle linked to. They are terrific, I am very happy with my purchase of that knife. I was prepared to buy a Victorinox or Dexter-Russel Sani-safe, but, do not like the angles of those knives. I like the MABA because of the slight curve of the blade.

I have used by Japanese blades and prefer them for most kitchen work, carbon steel is my buddy. But, the sashimi knives I used for cutting brisket were just not what I wanted and I could not afford the longer sashimi knives.

We are big fans of the Victorinox line by Forschner and the slicer listed above does a fabulous job. Excellent products and they hold an edge very well especially if you are diligent with the honing steel.

+1. I just picked up another Victorinox - this time a 10" cimeter. BTW, if you are ever in Seiverville, TN, stop at Smokey Mountain Knife Works. Great selection and prices on all kinds of knives.

I think Ron nailed it, get a knife that feels good in your hand.

I have gotten a MABA knife that Ron linked, I truly believe that knife helped me to get my first GC ever.

Southstar, that is a beautiful knife. Unfortunately, I would probably screw it up in less than a week.

For brisket, check this out...

http://mabbqa.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_4&products_id=1

It works great!

For other knives, go someplace that carries different brands and hold touch and feel them. You need to find knives that fit your hand and feel right when you use them. That's more important than buying by brand.

That is a Great knife Have seen it in action It is being sold on this site by the same guy that is selling Brethren Banners

Back