MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #1
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Default How to prep Christmas hams for sale

I just posted up my ham thread (http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=96273) and I was thinking about something... Ideally I was planning on having these hams cooked to order on a small scale to be picked up or delivered hot and ready, but in a conversation with a friend in the food industry she mentioned that if I can provide a good ham she would want to make an order (about 12-20) for her cafe and people that she knows will want.

My question is what is the best way to cook & package these hams? Could I smoke to 140 internal temp (rare) unglazed, vacuum pack it and sell it with the glaze and instructions for the individual to bake it in the oven adding the glaze and bringing it to final temp of 160 possibly under a foil tent?

Or do I fully smoke to 160 with glaze, cool, vacuum pack and have them reheat in the oven this time for a shorter time and add additional glaze?

Really not sure what to do here I just want the best way someone can reheat and enjoy the best possible flavor out of the ham. The simpler the better. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this...

Any suggestions on this would be most helpful. Thanks.
Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #2
ricksegers
Full Fledged Farker

Speaking as a consumer, the simpler you make it for me the better. As one who likes to cook and play with his food, I would like to be a part of the cooking process. Having said that, if I was doing hams I would make them fully cooked ready to heat and eat.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-29-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
h20loo
is one Smokin' Farker

Rick is right. I would make it crock pot ready for my neighborhood.

That is a nice looking ham you're cooking.
h20loo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #4
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

To be honest, here in the states, it's tough to find a ham that is not fully cooked. That's the way I would head if I were you.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 01:07 PM   #5
Phrasty
Babbling Farker

Yeah, I think it is looking like fully cooked is the way to go. Dont want someone to mess up and not bring it up to 160 and have any troubles relating to that as well. So I guess fully cooked it is! Thanks guys.

Cheers
1 - 25 gal. self-made vertical smoker
1 - 120 gal. self-made trailer stick-burner

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=88599
Phrasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2010, 04:21 PM   #6
rescue_ranger
Full Fledged Farker

Smoke it through (160) then vac pack attach another vac-bag with the glaze and instructions so all they have to do is warm it in the oven/grill/ crotch-pot and glaze it. I have done this with hams for the family about 10 not on the scale you are referring to but it worked very nicely I also should mention I built a small smokehouse in back a 3'x3'x8' you can hang about 20 10 to 15 # hams I use it to smoke my Kielbasa and sausages and white fish in the summer, but I digress a drum smoker will work as good. If anyone wants the plans for the smokehouse let me know in a message I will email them to you very simple to build.
RR
[I]2 - [COLOR=blue][B]Char-Griller [/B][/COLOR][I][COLOR=black][COLOR=blue][B]Professional[/B][/COLOR] [/COLOR][/I]With offset[/I]
[I]2 -[B][COLOR=darkorange]Gold[/COLOR][/B] [/I][B]Weber 22 1/2" kettle, with therm- sear grate, ash can[/B]
[I]1 - [B]200gal[/B] smoker[/I]
[COLOR=green][B]Rescue_ranger[/B][/COLOR] also known by my fellow [COLOR=red][B]USMC[/B][/COLOR] clan as G-Bear :boxing:
rescue_ranger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2010, 07:52 PM   #7
dgolf4u
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

rescue ranger, I would like the plans for the backyard smoker. Thank you.
dgolf4u is offline   Reply With Quote