Stocking Up on the Basics

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Coming home from Lake of the Ozarks today, I made two stops... one for lunch at theBBQ legend Bill Sharp's BBQ east of Warrensburg (the guy's a crusty old toothless -- well, almost toothless -- man with 54 years experience in BBQ and who started off as a butcher). Had a great brisket sandwich and beans and purchased a jar of his sauce. Second stop was a Dutch (Amish) Country Store and Bulk Foods place. I picked up the following in probably one to 1.5 cup size containers:

Garlic powder (real powder, not granules)
Onion powder (same as garlic)
Worchestershire powder
Hot Hungarian Paprika
Jalapeno powder (finely ground)
White peppercorns
Ground Cumin
Bay leaves (finely ground)
Thyme (finely ground)

Got all that for less than $25. Not a bad score! They had tons of spices and seasonings there. will definitely make a few runs over that way during Q season to stock up for rubs!

I have been going to the Texas Spice Co here in Round Rock, TX. They are also very cheap. I walked out with what would have cost you $50 - 60 even at Sams for about $20. They will also blend for you.
http://www.texas-spice.net

Thanks Stan! I've heard about that place but never made it in there before. I'll have to check it out.

That Worchestershire sauce sounds exciting. I used to be able to get a seasoning that was basicaly powdered soy sauce. I would kill for a bottle of it now. I can find it every once in a while in some health food stores. A guy named Dr. Bronner used to make it. The same guy who makes the slightly more famous Dr. Bronners Peppermint soap.

Hoo- try http://myspicer.com/
They've got a lot of powdered extracts and flavorings. I've never ordered from them, but I keep meaning to. The OL was wanting some powdered vanilla extract for some reason the other day.

For you Long Island Brothers, King Kullen has 1/2 Gallon containers of Apple Juice on sale for 12 for $12. That will do me for a whole season. The wife and I picked up 12 last night.

Be carefull with the Bay leaf!!! A little goes a long way. Too much will give you a Bitter result. Keep them all in a dark dry place or they will decline quickly. Or do as I do and buy in bulk and use a food sealer to store them for long periods of time.

spicewine said:
Be carefull with the Bay leaf!!! A little goes a long way. Too much will give you a Bitter result. Keep them all in a dark dry place or they will decline quickly. Or do as I do and buy in bulk and use a food sealer to store them for long periods of time.

Thanks for the advice, Jay! I like a little Bay leaf in my brisket rub but my wife does not. Also, sealing them in the FoodSaver bags is a great idea! They're in a dark dry place as I type! :wink:

Back