Pork bulgogi

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis
Look Ma, I'm actually posting in Q-Talk. :becky:

When we were downtown over Christmas we ate in a restaurant! Actually we ate in two. One was Korean and we had some pork bulgogi. Normally we make beef bulgogi about once a month, but pork was on the menu and this was very different for us. We decided to make some at home. Essentially, I sliced two pork tenderloins as thinly as I could manage, against the grain. This was marinated for about 20 minutes:

IMG_6491_zps4d5e8f2b.jpg

The marinade is
~ 1/2 cup black soy sauce
~ 1/4 cup sugar
a few cloves of crushed garlic
grated ginger
about 2 tbsp of sesame oil
sesame seeds
a spoonful of Red Boat
I think that's about it :roll:

I'd been cooking this on the grill, but I always seem to lose a bit through the grates, so I decided to use this nacho tray (and it's definitely nacho tray :tsk:) to cook them on. I used a bit of olive oil and heated it up > 500* before putting the pork on.

IMG_0149_zps83777483.jpg

I tried to get the pork to brown before turning. We served this on lettuce leaves.

IMG_0153_zps50f56917-1_zps6f06d547.jpg

The pork was pretty tasty and a great alternative to beef bulgogi. It also is a different way of cooking tenderloin, other than the half dozen or so we typically do. It was also fast, since the marinading takes only about 20 minutes. I like the taste of meat cooked directly on the grill better, but the tray made it much easier to cook.

Looks good. Maybe next time try grilling it but use a frog mat so you don't loose anything through the grates.:thumb:

Looks good. Maybe next time try grilling it but use a frog mat so you don't loose anything threw the grates.:thumb:

That's a great idea, but I believe frogmats are only rated for lower heat. I do have one of those metal vegetable-grilling trays with a bunch of holes it it. I used it before but it was a real pain to clean. Don't get me wrong, this was still very much worth eating and I will be put into the regular rotation, it just could have been a bit better.

That's a great idea, but I believe frogmats are only rated for lower heat. I do have one of those metal vegetable-grilling trays with a bunch of holes it it. I used it before but it was a real pain to clean. Don't get me wrong, this was still very much worth eating and I will be put into the regular rotation, it just could have been a bit better.

Naw, Andy and I use them when we grill on the YS460 when we have it cranked up and not burned one up yet. Not sure what the max. temp is but it is pretty high as I remember. The metal baskets are cool too, but get a teflon coated one so it is easier to clean, esp when using a sweet marinade like a bulgogi.

Looks great from here. Thanks for slumming, err, uhh, I mean sharing on "this side" :razz:

Naw, Andy and I use them when we grill on the YS460 when we have it cranked up and not burned one up yet. Not sure what the max. temp is but it is pretty high as I remember. The metal baskets are cool too, but get a teflon coated one so it is easier to clean, esp when using a sweet marinade like a bulgogi.

Thanks! I checked the frogmat website and they're good to 550*! I had thought it was much lower for some reason.

Very nice! I'll have to bust that one out on the wife & kidees. We love pork tenderloins around here and this looks like a great one to put into rotation. :thumb:

Speaking of bulgogi, today is Kogi truck day! :whoo:

Looks great from here. Thanks for slumming, err, uhh, I mean sharing on "this side" :razz:

It's good to make an appearance about once a year, otherwise some people think I dropped off the face of the earth (and start celebrating).

Looks great. Is black soy sauce the same as dark soy sauce?

Where's landarc? Bob? Where are you hiding?

Wow Gore... That sure does look tasty. :thumb:

p.s. I think you may have want to re-check the spelling. An easy way for me to remember is the old Oscar Meyer commercial...

"Oscar Meyer has a way with b-o-l-o-g-n-a"

:caked:

Thanks, now I've been singing that jingle for the past 10 minutes. :tsk:

Last edited:
Back