cleaning

D

DWFII

I have new (to me) used WSM that has several years of cooked on grease on almost every interior surface. How do you clean that gunk off? Is there a cleaning product or a solvent that will not leave a toxic residue?

Help!

I use oven cleaner from the 99 cents store, spray it on, go drink a few beer, then hose off with a lot of pressure. most of the gunk in my smoker just runs out. Then another beer to congratulate myself on a job well done. Put the smoker away, and a beer for completing a task. All in All I like to clean the smoker. Maybe I stop on the way home and get a case of beer and cleanse the bad boy tonight.

Spray it down good with oven cleaner, let it sit a while, then hit it with the pressure washer. This works better with beer.

I've used Simple Green before--on my Weber Kettle late last year. On paper, it's everything I could ask for. In use, it didn't cut it. I didn't have anything else so I ended up having to scrub the kettle with a Scrubby to get the gunk off. I don't want to have to do that with the WSM if I can help it. It's bad. :-?

Oven Cleaner.

Unless you have a clean trash barrel or other container large enough to submerge all the parts in(except thermometers).
Then you can just put everything in the barrel, fill it with water, and add lots of hand-dish soap, like Joy. Let it soak a while-a couple of days if you can- then dump everything out and hose it off.
This also works with the beer component:-D

icemn62 said:
Everything works with beer except driving, or operating heavy equipment. :twisted:

Roger that, but it is our duty to keep reminding ourselves and our brethern, lest we forget:twisted:

Remember that the WSM is porcelien coated and therefore doesn't need to be cured or "burned in" - a scrubby is fine as are most household cleaners - even Greased Lighting. Just rinse well.

I usually soak my grates in dish soap and water in a galvanized tub and then scrub and rinse.

Oven cleaners will certainly work but most (note: most) work better with heat.

home depit has a commercial grill/oven cleaner. Silver & blue can.. Works great. Spray it on, make a margarita, drink it, and then spray it off.

The reason you have to drink the margarita first is that everything looks better after a margtarita.

cheers. :cool:

icemn62 said:
I use oven cleaner from the 99 cents store, spray it on, go drink a few beer, then hose off with a lot of pressure. most of the gunk in my smoker just runs out. Then another beer to congratulate myself on a job well done. Put the smoker away, and a beer for completing a task. All in All I like to clean the smoker. Maybe I stop on the way home and get a case of beer and cleanse the bad boy tonight.

After reading all the posts, I decided to go with the Icemn62 method.
What better was to Buzz through the process.

Guido

My wife is a clean freak. She cleans our over using the self cleaning feature of the oven a few times a year. If your smoker's cooking grates are small enough to fit in your oven, pop them in the next time your wife cleans the oven with it's self cleaning feature. It works miracles. Beyond the normal between cooking cleaning on my Chargriller, I pop the cast iron grates in the oven when she does a cleaning and they come out clean. Give it a try.

if you don't feel like scrubbing it, you could try burning it out. i'm not sure if this would warp the walls of the smoke box, so that will have to be your call but i would get a good fire going in there and let it burn until all the grease turns to carbon. then you could scrape and bang the ash out and begin fresh. let me know if you do this and if it works. also, be careful!
phil

BBQchef33 said:
home depit has a commercial grill/oven cleaner. Silver & blue can.. Works great. Spray it on, make a margarita, drink it, and then spray it off.

The reason you have to drink the margarita first is that everything looks better after a margtarita.

cheers. :cool:

I've used the same stuff and agree with Phill. (but make the Margtarita a double)

Hi all

I clean my grates with water at 3000PSI Then i spray out the smoker and if I must I will scrape the thing out and then spray water. It need be I with then use simple green. Rinse, dry and reseason. I usually do this at least once a month as my Lang 84 deluxe gets used every weekend and the build up is just a mess.

A clean grill is a happy grill

Scott you did not make mention of Beer or Margarita's before, during, or after this cleaning job. You should add that step and you will find it is much more enjoyable,.

Cleaning

I've used oven cleaner with good results, if its really thick, spray it down, put the parts in garbage bags and take it to a do it yourself carwash. Take the parts out, use the de-greaser in the car wash and the high pressure, turn to suds then turn to rinse and it should be spick and span.

Back