Best type of Mortar and Pestle to use to grind own spice? Seeking suggestions

S

Smiter Q

Hi all,

Been looking at some mortar and pestles. Seen some of volcanic rock, some of marble, some soapstone. Some when I look at them seem to create "Stone Chalk" upon checking them out in the store. I have a large food processor, a mini one, and would like to add a M+P to the collection. Though.. not really sure what I think about eating stone dust with my food.

Seeking thoughts and suggestions on this. I am fairly laid back on my food prep, but not sure how the chalk would effect the spices and food. Thanks for the ideas.

I have a marble M-P set. I have no problems with stone dust -- ever. No problems with staining, either, when I do wet/dry grinding.

CD

Brian I went with the rough granite, the grey green ones with a rough textured surface.
This was only because that's what my Thai cooking friend recommended as being superior for getting the job done quicker.
Never had a problem, 20 years now.

My Mom's mortar and pestle is hardwood, like walnut. No chalk dust and no saw dust.
I use a pepper mill or a coffee grinder.

I have a rough-ish marble M&P. The smooth ones work alright if you only want to crush something, but the rougher surfaced ones shine when you want to pulverize something to powder with a stirring motion. The smooth ones tend to let you just push things around without much grinding action.

Once you have actual stuff in there to grind, dust is much less of a problem.

I use a marble one currently, it works great. It is too small, get a large deep one.

IMO, stone dust is too fine for use in BBQ.
Rubs should be made of granulated spice to help promote bark and increase flavor.

YMMV.

I just use a cheap electric coffee grinder, works great for me. I do use a P&M fo wet stuff though.

Granite all the way. It's what the pyramids are made out of, and they're still standing! Marble ones always seems to have the shiny smooth interior that doesn't grip the spices. I got a Thai made one on ebay for about $35 including shipping. Nice and big, with a smooth, yet not shiny interior and it is awesome!!

I use a granite M&P that I purchased from Amazon. Works great and is a perfect size (2 Cup Capacity). Never had any problems with rock dust.

Stub, that looks awesomely effective, if a bit harder to clean in the grooves :)

This is the one I have! It's granite and it works great.
7b0dfdd4.jpg

A note on the stone dust btw... I use to be wary of it as well and I learnt that you should "season" stone M&Ps by running a TB or 2 or rice through it a bit.

Another thing to take in mind stone powder is from stone to stone contact. whenever you'll be using it you will have spices or whatever buffering that contact.

Cheers

Thanks all for the information. Quite helpful. Appreciate your time and posts!

I don't know if this is the best, but I've been using it for over 20 years for both wet and dry grinding.

I'm having a hard time finding any online sites that have Crack and Peel stuff for sale. Any ideas? I really dig that mortar with the grooves.

Had my eye on this one for a while now:

granite-mortar-and-pestle-set-8.jpg

$19.99 + $13 shipping :rolleyes:

Back