MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-31-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Ordered a new Stumps today

After 2 great years on my old stick burner Lena I decided to buy a stumps. I built a enclosed trailer and a smaller smoker will be a little easier to pull. I have never cooked on or used a Stumps before so I have a few questions for y'all. What do ya burn? I am thinking kingsford, light a chimeney dump it in the chute when ready and fill. I see over on the other forum guys saying that using Kingsford makes the food taste like charcoal? Also is there a easier way to light it or better? What fan size do you use I have a 4 cfm do I need a 10? I had other questions but it's late and I can't remember. I cook at 300. And I ordered the new junior. They say it will be ready in 4 weeks but I have a friend that has been waiting 9.

Old 11-01-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Lots of questions, OK, I burn lump, I prefer it. Some dont, less ash great flavor.
I use this to light my stretch, http://www.bernzomatic.com/PRODUCTS/...3/Default.aspx

I just put it in the firebox and let it go a few min.

you can light it the way you mentioned, but watch your feet, make sure no hot ashes dump out the firebox door as you drop it.

As gar as fan, you should be ok you can run the stumps without the fan but its nice with it, if you dont get the temp your looking for, then step up to the 10 cfm, but thats what i use on my stretch.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 09:30 AM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

you will make a "hot mess" to dump a hot chimney down the chute. i used to do that now i load the chute first the lite it through the fire box as stated above with torch. i use kingsford blue with a few wood chunks ever so often through the chute.

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM   #4
eddieh70301
is one Smokin' Farker

I use RO lump or Stubbs only. I also use a weed burner to light my charcoal from the firebox. I don't use a chimney. I always have unused charcoal in the chute and it's easier to light it from the fire box. With the weed burner the coals are lit in under 5 minutes.

I also have a Guru that I run. it will make your life much easier. If you don't have a fan, it will take forever to get the smoker to temp. It's a bit trickey to dial in the temps manually. It took about three cooks but now I just run the Guru.

Once it gets to temp, it will hold steady for hours.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:17 AM   #5
Quemaster
Knows what a fatty is.

Congrats on your new purchase! The 4 SCFM fan should be enough for the Junior to come up to temp. You my want to contact Stumps and verify there recommendation for the Junior. I have a Stretch with 10 cfm fan and it is probably 5 cfm more than needed.

Burn whatever charcoal you like as it is a personal preference. I liked Wicked Good Briquettes and Lump as well as Viva Poncho Lump (my new favorite). I will also buy Stubbs Briquettes when on sale at Lowes and I do not like Kingsford Blue due to flavor and ash content.

Be sure to post some pics of your new Junior when it arrives.

Old 11-01-2011, 10:27 AM   #6
Quemaster
Knows what a fatty is.

I also use a hand held Map Gas torch to light the coal on the Stretch. 4-5 minutes worth of heat focussed on the bottom coals just above the ash pan and the Stoker will get the unit up to temp in 45 minutes (ball valve half closed). You can shut ball valve and stack damper when done to smother fire and have fuel left in chute for next cook.

Old 11-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #7
Bigfoot21075
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a Superrior SS2 smoker - similar to Stumps. It is a big smoker and I use an old guru with the 4cfm fan, that is more than adequate to get and hold the temps you want. I used to use the chimney to light, but went to the map gas torch from underneath as well. Much less spark and ash.

I use Kingsford Blue usually, I have tried others little or no flavor difference in the charcoals that I can see. BTW I ordered my Superior SS2 and got it a week later with great communication and service from Joby - Just sayin....
BGE, Weber Summit, 22" Kettle, SmokinIt#3, Round Boy Pizza Oven, FLAMED Thermopen
Bigfoot21075 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #8
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Ok another question. I am wanting to keep this thing inside my trailer any of you guys do the same? What problems have you run into. I am gonna have it sitting on a piece of metal so not to burn the new floor I am putting down also how did you vent the exhaust? I ain't sure what size the exhaust pipe is

Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM   #9
Goddahavit
is one Smokin' Farker

Nope I roll it out and down the ramp. I have seen people do it with fec's but not a charcoal cooker yet.
Backyard Jambo
Stump's Stretch
Bubba Keg
Weber WSM
Old weber gasser
Goddahavit is offline   Reply With Quote