My first post and first attempt at a UDS

ralphyboy

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Well here goes. I've read the posts. Looked at the picks. Scored a barrel for a local nut and oil company (free nontheless). So Here I go....

The barrel I got was sealed. So before doing anything I went and got my weber lid and checked to see if it fit. It did, so I cut just on the inside of the lip.

HPIM1088.jpg

I also drilled 4 holes at the bottom. I used 1/2"nps pipe, capped 2
HPIM1091.jpg

and brought two up and put ball valves on them.

HPIM1090.jpg

Here's where I go a little carried away. I should of burned out before this..

Ralphyboy! Nice looking drum.

Stop by Cattle Call and introduce yourself there.

A real good start ralphyboy, I would just take the ball valves and caps off and let it burn. The holes in the bottom will help with air flow. I don't think those handles will stand up to the heat. Just checking, is that a stainless u bolt on the nipple?

Good start, strip hardware and give it a good burning out. Brush,sand and paint,remount hardware and you are on you way to some good "Q". Welcome to the drum core! :smile:

Man this Drum thing must be a virus or something :mrgreen: Everyone is building a drum but me :!: I must be missing the boat.

Looks like a good start Ralphy!!

great looking drum job there. welcome and good luck with your UDS. keep us posted about the burn out. smoke on Bro.:-D:cool:

Looks gooe may I sugest you place a some washers on ( if you haven't already)those u-bolts so you don't get to much air leakage

A real good start ralphyboy, I would just take the ball valves and caps off and let it burn. The holes in the bottom will help with air flow. I don't think those handles will stand up to the heat. Just checking, is that a stainless u bolt on the nipple?

Sounds like a good plan to me.8)

Never too late to burn it, but its been my experience-(and don't try this at home) that the bottom third of the drum is taking the most heat and if it gets over 500* that paint will burn off. It only happened once but after that I never burnt the outside paint off.

Looks good! Now lets see some meat!

Ok, lost power earlier and couldn't finsih the story. I got so excited with my progress and felt I was ready for the BURN.... All that was going through my mind was burn, baby burn!!!!!

HPIM1092.jpg

and burn it did!!

HPIM1093.jpg

Then I started looking at the ball valves, though oh crap I should of taken those off...

HPIM1094.jpg

also remembered those ball valves had teflon seats....oh crap....

HPIM1096.jpg

damn that's a good looking fire...

HPIM1098.jpg

paint's doing what it's suposed too..

HPIM1095.jpg

screw the the ball valves, if they get a little screwed up, oh well it's a UDS!!

after everything cooled off a little rubber on the handles was melted but the seemed to function normaly. More pics to follow... Now on to the cattle call....
-RB

Back