comp cooker

M

Movingmd

Is an uds good enough for a comp cooker? Obviously its not going to handle whole hog.

I've only been to 2 comps, but I saw plenty of them there. As far as I know, Harry Soo only cooks on WSM's, and they're not much different than an UDS (mainly just more expensive).

Matt

I've only been to 2 comps, but I saw plenty of them there. As far as I know, Harry Soo only cooks on WSM's, and they're not much different than an UDS (mainly just more expensive).

Matt

thats true but harry soo also just got a brand new big poppa UDS so we'll see if that changes!

I think you would get better answers if you mentioned the type of competitions :-D

For KCBS a UDS or two or three would be fine. For MIM, no way.

It's not what you cook on. It's how good you can cook. It would be awesome for you to go out and beat the teams with the fancy cookers.

One of our cookers (if we need it) this coming weekend is a UDS. We will most likely use it for our chicken as I am not 100% comfortable cooking everything on our Fat Boy yet.

wallace

Do you guys think you could get away with having only 2 UDS for a standard comp of Brisket, chicken, ribs and butt??

I don't see why UDS wouldn't be successful in comps. We use WSMs in comps, but those UDSs look pretty bad@ss. We're in the process of putting one together ourselves. We'll probably go the Big Poppa setup route...it had me at the beer bottle opener.

Do you guys think you could get away with having only 2 UDS for a standard comp of Brisket, chicken, ribs and butt??

Slap Yo' Daddy does all 4 meats on a single 18.5" WSM, so I think 2 UDSs would be fine if one is determined enough.

Slap Yo' Daddy does all 4 meats on a single 18.5" WSM, so I think 2 UDSs would be fine if one is determined enough.

I thought I saw him have at least 2 or 3 on BBQ Pitmasters. I would think if you were to only have one you would at least have to have a couple racks in each UDS. I'm thinking about trying to enter into my first competition this year and I'm thinking one UDS is not going to be enough. (However I'm really working the fiance to let me buy a Backwoods Chubby!!!)

Absolutely. For example, set up them up on Friday night for butts and briskets. Depending on how much meat you cook you could do that on one UDS. Time the butts and briskets to be done by 8am on Saturday and hold them in a cooler or cambro. Then get one UDS set up for ribs and the other for chicken. Easy.

It's all about timing.

Absolutely. For example, set up them up on Friday night for butts and briskets. Depending on how much meat you cook you could do that on one UDS. Time the butts and briskets to be done by 8am on Saturday and hold them in a cooler or cambro. Then get one UDS set up for ribs and the other for chicken. Easy.

It's all about timing.

Some good advice there! You think it would be best to keep the longer cook items (i.e. butt and brisket) in one, and the shorter, more intensive items (ribs, chicken) in a separate cooker??

I thought I saw him have at least 2 or 3 on BBQ Pitmasters. I would think if you were to only have one you would at least have to have a couple racks in each UDS. I'm thinking about trying to enter into my first competition this year and I'm thinking one UDS is not going to be enough. (However I'm really working the fiance to let me buy a Backwoods Chubby!!!)

Since that 1st season of BBQ Pitmasters, Harry Soo has made his setup much more efficient. I took his class last fall and spoke with him during his last contest in Wildomar, CA. He cooks 2 butts on the bottom rack and 1 brisket on the top rack. They are usually done within an hour or so of each other, so by ~7:30am when he puts on his ribs, the long haul meats are in the Cambro. He puts the chicken on ~9:30 on the bottom rack. Thats when he begins to foil his ribs. Trust me, he has this thing down.

I follow his routine, but I use 2-3 WSMs purely for the extra capacity because I cook more to allow for my 'cough' 'cough' larger margin of error 'gulp'! He tweets and FBs about his timeline all the time so I don't feel like I'm revealing a huge competitive strategy here. He told me he likes to use one WSM and 1 20lb. bag of KB because it reduces his carbon footprint and makes things go a lot smoother, ie. less equipment, supplies, etc.. I think it's because he's showing off...LOL!

Some good advice there! You think it would be best to keep the longer cook items (i.e. butt and brisket) in one, and the shorter, more intensive items (ribs, chicken) in a separate cooker??

That all depends on how much meat you cook and the temps. If the butts and briskets cook at the same temp and will fit in one that gives you more flexibility in case you have a stubborn butt of brisket.

That way you have a free cooker for the ribs, and if you cook chicken hotter, the cook time isn't as long, so you have time for that stuck butt or brisket to finish without having to worry. The chicken can go into that cooker when the butt and briskets are done.

So to recap...

Cooker 1 - butts and briskets, then chicken
Cooker 2 - ribs

At least that's how I would do it.

Wow! I guess a guy could do an entire competition on a single UDS! This is why I love this web site! SO MUCH KNOWLEDGE!!

So if you had to recommend the best way for us competition virgins, would you recommend a single smoker or multiple smokers? I would think multiple would give a little leeway so I wouldn't be opening/closing/opening/closing over and over and killing my temperatures.

Back