• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Whole Hog

certified106

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Due to where I live and my lack of access to a decent store without driving at least an hour one way it is extremely hard for me to find any pork products that are fresh or aren't packaged in solution. So yesterday I ran into a a local guy who sells all natural pork and poultry. The hogs are raised on his farm by him and his family and after talking with him for the better part of an hour he told me to swing by and check the place out. So yesterday I ran over there and bought a couple of packs of fresh baby backs and a boston butt off of him.

So after talking with him for awhile I was pretty impressed and found out they butcher every two weeks so if they don't have exactly what you are looking for you just have to let them know and they will make sure they cut up and package whatever you want the next time they butcher. Another thing I really liked was they fact they make all their own sausage, links, and smoke their own hams.

My question is he was telling me we may want to look into just purchasing a whole hog and to purchase a whole hog we were looking and $2.29 per lb hanging weight with an average $75 slaughter fee and on a 160 lb hog we could expect to get around 100lbs of packaged meat. So after you do the approximate math the price per lb is around $4.41 per lb. What are your thoughts on the final price per lb is it around what you would expect or higher than normal. Thanks for any info as this is the first time I have considered purchasing one this way.

Sounds a little high to me. Sounds like he know's the area market in regards to availability of quality product and is charging accordingly.

Sounds a little high to me. Sounds like he know's the area market in regards to availability of quality product and is charging accordingly.

That's kind of what I was thinking to. It seems like they are really pushing the organically raised thing to get the price per lb up.

That's kind of what I was thinking to. It seems like they are really pushing the organically raised thing to get the price per lb up.

Ahhh...now that word right there explains it! I saw the "all Natural" in your OP, but if they're using the organic label also, that explains the price. And if it is truly organic raised meat, then that is a good price compared to around here. At the local farmers market here, organic pork is any where between $8 to $10 a lb. I believe that going right to the farmer, it's still around $5 a lb or so.

It's a lil far from you 2+ hours but if you ever up north check out Strasburg Provision Inc

1317 North Wooster Avenue, Strasburg, OH
(330) 878-5557 ()‎ I drive about 45 min to get there and well worth it !

Back