Vertical cook chamber....

THE BYC is perfect for Backyard only.. i didnt mean to come across as for competiton only, but the contrary... was trying to point out that it is versatile enuf for competition. When i bought it, it was replacing my Bandera, and competition wasnt in the cards..(I think it help me get to competition though)

My BYC has a 56 inch main and a 20 inc vertical with a 20 inch pipe.. .. its IS NOT to big.. and actually, it can NEVER be too big(Dont go there :icon_smil ). in fact, i wish i went for the full 60 on a 24 inch pipe, maybe even 30. Keep in minds, that on a horizontal, the first fot or so is not usable becase of the hot spot.

I have a BYC with a 60" main. Originally I intended to buy the same pit without the upright. I am very glad I added the it. I got the cooker about a year ago, I'm really beginning to realize what I can do with the upright.

I vote for the upright.

this is getting harder and harder....Was looking at teh gators, but the price seems to be a bit above the kloses. Very nice units also. Scott

Who makes the BYC's?

In the context of this discussion, the term BYC has not only been used as a model name for the Klose brand horz/vert cooker, but also as a generic for that style of combination cooker. Klose, Gator, Horizon, Bates, Brinkmann.....many mfgrs make horz/vert cookers (Dead Serious even makes a reverse flow model with the firebox at the same end as the vert). They all have minor design differences which determine their specific cooking characteristics but they all function basically the same.

Klose's BYC is the orignal, the gators are copies. They look alike, but there are differences in the designs. They can both be custom made to just about any spec. The gators i saw down in texas, while they are nice pits, they didnt have the fit and finishes that my Kloses have. Before buying, I researched and compared the Klose, the Gator BYCC and the Tejas 2040CC. All 3 are the same general design, but the comparisons got the Klose to my backyard. The Tejas was dropped off the chart on first glance.. looked like a cracker jack version of the other two. When the Gator and klose was compared, the Klose, IMO, came out ahead for workmanship.. and some of the smaller details.. (like 9 inch wheels as compared to 4 inch high density). Prices were pretty close, so when it came down to it.. it came down to the better welder and little details. OK... the Gator had nicer paint and a cool rain cap..... But the klose was...well... A KLOSE. ... one thing is for sure, with either of these, you will not regret it.

thanks Guys. I know steel prices have climbed through the roof. was just doing a today side by side comaprison. Scott

I like the vertical. Does anyone have any plans on how to make one. I can make one but no imagination. I need some plan to follow. For example the door and how it is hung and the shelves. Also where to put the vents.

Any help would be appreiciated.
Thanks,
Brian

Here are pics of my Gator Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and choose the album "Zilla's Gator Pit". I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about my pit or my experience of shopping and researhing pits made in Texas before I bought mine last summer.

Man your Q-Bana is great! Food look good also.

Ok was that bacon on those ribs or my eyes playing tricks on me.

Back