• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Confessions of a Holiday Junkfood Junkie

I've been playing around with traditional Chex mix for a few years. Here is my latest rendition and notes.

Kevin's Chex Mix

9 cups of any variety of Chex cereal. Corn, Rice, Wheat, or whatever, mix and match.
1 cup mixed nuts
1 cup mini pretzels
1 cup garlic flavored bagel chips
1 cup cheeze its crackers

1/4 cup butter
2 T worsey
1 T Tony C's
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1 T El Yucateco Habanero

Heat oven to 250*
Melt butter in ungreased roasting pan and then mix in worsey, spices, and El Yucateco.
Gently mix in the rest of the ingredients until evenly coated.
Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour. Stir every 15 minutes.
Spread on paper towels to cool about 15 minutes.
Store in an airtight container.

12/16/2007:
First shot at this blend. Not bad. The underlying intensity of the hab is there. Needs the "in your face" of cayenne.
Maybe add a little cumin too.

Found some jalapeño cheddar little smokies at the store yesterday. Got them in the crock pot with some good Carolina sauce acquired from a past trade. Good chit Maynard.

Found Chipotle Hot little smokies yesterday. Even more better.

We got 3 packages of them smokies yesterday. Crock pot with they heinz bbq sauce. I can eat a package in a setting.

Another holiday gem, I love the "classic" threads!!

In homage, here are two more shamelessly awful holiday-table contributions:

Hotwing Dip
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
1 cup Ranch-style salad dressing
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and hot pepper sauce until well blended. Mix in the Ranch dressing, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

And finally, the pièce de résistance: Bacon Crack!

Another holiday gem, I love the "classic" threads!!

In homage, here are two more shamelessly awful holiday-table contributions:

Hotwing Dip
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
3/4 cup pepper sauce, such as Franks® Red Hot®
1 cup Ranch-style salad dressing
2 cups diced cooked chicken
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
Directions: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). In a medium bowl, stir together the cream cheese and hot pepper sauce until well blended. Mix in the Ranch dressing, chicken and Cheddar cheese. Spread into a 9x13 inch baking dish. Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven. If oil collects on the top, dab it off using a paper towel. Serve with tortilla chips.

And finally, the pièce de résistance: Bacon Crack!

The hot wing dip is a keeper for sure. I'm eating it now, lips burning, can't wait for another bite.

I read that the other day and have it printed out for the days after Thanksgiving

cream cheese dip

What you do is get a brick of lite cream cheese, regular if you get clearance from your cardiologist and pour picante sauce, hatch chili marinade or whatever other topping over the top.
Goes great with crackers.

Braunschweiger Dip

Kevin posted a Braunschweiger and Cream Cheese ball recipe, which is basically what this evolved from.

You see, my family (OK my Dad and me really) are on this never ending quest to make things simpler and faster due to being incessantly lazy (and adding bacon to stuff seems to be another goal in life).

When I was a young kid, each year there would be a lovely Braunschweiger and Cream Cheese ball. One year, I think I was about 12 or so, instead of a ball, my Dad turned out a layered spread in a tub with the Braunschweiger on bottom, and the Cream Cheese on top. It was farking brilliant let me tell you and was just as big of a hit with less fuss.

Well, I think it may have been just a couple years later that the layers went away and the whole thing was just blended together. It was still a delicious spread! After another couple years bacon was introduced and well, it became a new staple.

Finally at some point we didn't even bother pulling out a spreading knife and told everyone to just attack it with crackers. I recommend sturdy, good crackers, preferably onion crackers.

Well, there's the history, here's the recipe. It's simple really. That's the idea. It wouldn't feel like the Holidays without it.

1 pound Braunschweiger
8 oz softened Cream Cheese
1 pound crisp fried Bacon, finely crumbled
3/4 cup Mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Onion Powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3/4 teaspoon Garlic Powder
1/2 teaspoon Hot Sauce

Mix all ingredients together a day ahead of time to let the flavors jingle. The Holidays are all about jingling. Stir again before serving.

Holiday snackies are fun. I really did have a ball today. Be forewarned, my photography skills suck. Out of focus and bad lighting. Still tasted good.

KC'quer's BBQ meatballs, I make these every fall. The recipe is in this thread if you look.
DSCF0328.jpg

Some Italian seasoned meatballs with tomatoe sauce, and yes boss, I did make the sauce, not canned.
DSCF0329.jpg

Some bacon wrapped meatballs, they look really dark in the pic, they really weren't. As I said, my photography skills suck.
DSCF0334.jpg

The best balls of the day. Jalapeno Spud balls, introduced to me by Res6cue. These were good eating. I substituted butter for the EVOO. Rich flavor. Again, these were not as dark as the pic.
DSCF0333.jpg

Edit:
Forgot the link to the spud balls: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67453
In SHSSW fashion, thanks for looking at my snacks!